Forums » Support

Back To Topics

Scratch on Windows support

• 6 posts
    April 28, 2016 12:20 PM CEST

Scratch on Windows support
    Official support topic for Windows users. 

Learn more about the Scratch:  
    With Scratch, you can program your own interactive stories, games, and animations — and share your creations with others in the online community.
    Scratch helps young people learn to think creatively, reason systematically, and work collaboratively -essential skills for life in the 21st century.
    Scratch is a project of the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at the MIT Media Lab. It is provided free of charge.

Teaching programing with SBrick:
    How it works?: Click here for more info.
    Configure SBrick with S2bot on windows: Click here for more info.

If you have any questions or problems feel free to contact us in this topic.

This post was edited by SBrick Admin at April 28, 2016 1:32 PM CEST
    • 1 posts
    October 3, 2016 11:41 AM CEST

Hello,

I'm new to sbricks and scratch. I'm working on a project where I would like to program two sbricks in Scratch.

Currently I only manage to control one sbrick at the same time within Scratch.

Is there a way to control multiple sbricks at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

Teun. 

• 361 posts
    October 6, 2016 8:15 PM CEST

Scratchfool said:

Hello,

I'm new to sbricks and scratch. I'm working on a project where I would like to program two sbricks in Scratch.

Currently I only manage to control one sbrick at the same time within Scratch.

Is there a way to control multiple sbricks at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

Teun. 

Hello Teun! 

Sorry for this late reply. 

Unfortunately at the moment you can only connect one SBrick to Scratch, but we are working on a new solution which will solve this problem. 

Soon we will tell more about this, 

We ask for patience, 

Best regards, 

Balint 
    SBrick Team 

• 1 posts
    January 7, 2017 2:43 AM CET

Hello,

I recently purchased an sBrick and am expereinced in Scratch.

I've connected my sBrick to my Windows computer using the sBrick driver and have successfully created an sBrick Scratch file. However, when I upload the file and run a project controlling the sBrick, nothing happens. The extension indicator is in fact green. I've done the "test sBrick" in the driver application, and everything works perfectly.

Why is this happening? How can I fix it?

Help is appreciated. :)

• 2 posts
    January 8, 2017 4:27 PM CET

The Sbrick driver file, is it going to be compatible with other versions of windows.  When i run it, it says it's only runs on 10.

Thanks

• 361 posts
    January 9, 2017 12:02 PM CET

Graham Kozlyk said:

The Sbrick driver file, is it going to be compatible with other versions of windows.  When i run it, it says it's only runs on 10.

Thanks

Hello Graham, 

Unfortunately for older windows version the only way is the S2Bot and the smart dongle. 

The plugin was created for original w10. 

If you would have any further questions just let us know. 

Regards, 

Balint
    Sbrick Team

• 5 posts
    January 9, 2017 8:10 PM CET

What exactly do you mean by "original" W10? I have three Windows 10 PCs, all of which were originally W8.1, then upgraded to W10. On two of them, the Sbrick Plus works well using the SBrick driver file but on one of them, when I run the SBrick Tester, my Sbrick does not appear. The same hardware works fine with S2Bot (but obviously I cannot use the sensors).

Any ideas for why the SBrick driver doesn't work on one of my three Windows 10 PCs? Anything that I can test?

• 361 posts
    January 10, 2017 1:06 PM CET

Steve Smythe said:

What exactly do you mean by "original" W10? I have three Windows 10 PCs, all of which were originally W8.1, then upgraded to W10. On two of them, the Sbrick Plus works well using the SBrick driver file but on one of them, when I run the SBrick Tester, my Sbrick does not appear. The same hardware works fine with S2Bot (but obviously I cannot use the sensors).

Any ideas for why the SBrick driver doesn't work on one of my three Windows 10 PCs? Anything that I can test?

Hello Steve, 

Yes, you are right, I wasn't clear enough. :) 

Under Original, I meant that a PC with default Windows 10. Unfortunately on upgraded computers the plugin won't work.

On those PC's the only way is the S2Bot and the dongle. 

If you have any further questions please let us know. 

Have a nice day, 

Balint
    SBrick Team

• 5 posts
    January 10, 2017 2:46 PM CET

I have a brand new PC with native windows 10 (purchased November 2016) and experience with Scratch and Lego We-do.

We tried the sbrick+ with Scratch with the Sbrick Plugin but we had several problems that I now describe.

First, we tried the Sbrick tester. It finds the sbrick+ and correctly tests the motors and we-do sensors. After testing, we generate an sbrick scratch file as described here https://social.sbrick.com/wiki/view/pageId/43/slug/sbrick-plugin-for-scratch-how-to

We upload the scratch file with scratch 2.0 online and offline, and nothing works (motors & sensors). Then we tested everything again from the PC with the Sbick tester, and it works!. then, before closing the Sbrick tester , we open the Scratch 2.0 and the motors can be controlled using a scratch program, but not the sensors.

A similar problem was described by Luke R user, so I  think that the problem could be general. Maybe is it related to updates in windows ? Is there something I can test/do?

help will be appreciated!!

• 5 posts
    January 10, 2017 3:09 PM CET

I have had the same experience as Jordi Faraudo, except that (as mentioned above), none of my Windows 10 PCs is "original" W10. I did get the sensors to work briefly but then they stopped. Mostly the distance/motion sensor shows a value between 0 and 1.

S2Bot works fine for the output devices, but Revolution Education have not yet released a version that supports the Sbrick Plus.

In summary, although the SBrick Scratch app occasionally works, it is too unreliable and frustrating to use so the SBrick will go back into the drawer until Revolution Education updates S2Bot to support it (unless Vengit produces an app that works properly).

• 361 posts
    January 11, 2017 3:26 PM CET

Hello Guys, 

I have forwarded the issue to our developers, soon we will get back to you! 

We ask for some patience, 

Best wishes, 

Balint
    SBrick Team

• 5 posts
    January 11, 2017 5:08 PM CET

Great, Thanks!

Balint Mezei said:

Hello Guys, 

I have forwarded the issue to our developers, soon we will get back to you! 

We ask for some patience, 

Best wishes, 

Balint
    SBrick Team

• 229 posts
    January 13, 2017 4:01 PM CET

Dear Jordi,

Unfortunately we forgot to add an important step to the how-to description.

When you created a scratch file with the SBrick Scratch App after you saved the scratch file do not close the SBrick Scrath App window!
    If you close the window, the connection will lost. 

A new update for our windows plugin will be available soon and the how to desription will be also updated. 

• 5 posts
    January 18, 2017 4:17 PM CET

OK, I see!! Thanks!! Now my question is, what do you do to work with a previously saved scratch  project?

I mean, imagine one day you make a Scratch project , you save it and you want to continue another day. When you open the "old" project to continue working on it, do you need to configure each time the Sbrick Scratch App window, indicating for each Sbrick port whether it has a motor or a sensor? It means repeating the same operation (indicating the connection of each port) each time you open your project. Maybe I am lost, but if this is true I strongly suggest to add an option to the Sbrick Scratch App to load/recover a saved "configuration". This will save a lot of time and will make things easier for kids working with Scratch.

thanks again for your support!

jordi

Tamas Misik said:

Dear Jordi,

Unfortunately we forgot to add an important step to the how-to description.

When you created a scratch file with the SBrick Scratch App after you saved the scratch file do not close the SBrick Scrath App window!
    If you close the window, the connection will lost. 

A new update for our windows plugin will be available soon and the how to desription will be also updated. 

• January 22, 2017 7:10 AM CET

Hi Jordy,

I missed the same functionality! Thanks for describing this.

In a school environment (with kids) it will be needed often.

J de Jong

• 361 posts
    January 23, 2017 12:45 PM CET

J e r f a a s de Jong said:

Hi Jordy,

I missed the same functionality! Thanks for describing this.

In a school environment (with kids) it will be needed often.

J de Jong

Thank you for the report! 

I have forwarded the suggestion to our developers! :)

Best, 

Balint

• 3 posts
    January 28, 2017 1:56 PM CET

I installed the s2Bot and could control (= test) the SBrick. After that I installed the "SBrick Scratch Plugin for Windows 10" as described at https://social.sbrick.com/wiki/view/pageId/43/slug/sbrick-plugin-for-scratch-how-to . At step 2 I have to create a new Scratch file. I gave it a name and stored the file somewhere. After that nothing happened. There was no window in which I could configure the scratch file (like in step 3).

What could have gone wrong?

Some specs:

• Windows 10 (updated)
    • Most recent version from Chrome (56)
    • S2Bot v 0.7.4
    • S2Bot detects SBrick and can controle it.
    • SBrick Scratch installed as administator, running as normal user.
    • SBrick Scratch icon is visible and right click works.
    • SBrick Scratch option "Create New Scratch File" creates a new file.
    • SBrick Scratch option "SBrick Tester" only shows an empty window with the text "My SBricks" at the top.
    • Windows reboot doesn't change the situation.
    • After reboot SBrick Scratch install seems to be gone.
    • After SBrick Scratch install I always need to install some update.

This post was edited by dgasdf dgzcvzxc at January 28, 2017 2:10 PM CET
    • 5 posts
    January 28, 2017 4:49 PM CET

Is your Windows version one that came with your PC or did you upgrade from a previous version? If you upgraded to W10 from a previous version the SBrick Scratch plugin doesn't work.

• 3 posts
    January 28, 2017 4:58 PM CET

Steve Smythe said:

Is your Windows version one that came with your PC or did you upgrade from a previous version?

Yeah, it's an upgrade but with a clean install after the upgrade.

Why is this a problem and how can I solve it.

• 5 posts
    January 28, 2017 5:10 PM CET

I don't know but I have the same problem on two of my three PCs. Sbrick have not explained what the exact problem is. Unfortunately, S2Bot from Revolution Education only supports the SBrick outputs at the moment (i.e. you can't use the sensors with SBrick Plus). So, I can't use the SBrick properly until some of that software is updated. Very disappointing.

• 361 posts
    January 28, 2017 6:30 PM CET

Hello Guys, 

If the Windows system is not officially Windows 10 (So you upgraded an older version) the new plugin won't work. 

In this case we could only advise the S2Bot with the dongle. 

If you need any further help, please contact us again, 

Best regards,

Balint
    SBrick Team

• 5 posts
    February 2, 2017 6:11 AM CET

My Windows system is not officially Windows 10 (So I upgraded an older version).

I am using the S2Bot with the dongle. 

I cannot read my distance sensor. Only the motor controls are loaded from the template when I add the extension. I can control motors, but no inputs!

• 5 posts
    February 2, 2017 6:59 AM CET

Update, I crated a template scratch file from the red SBRICK application and now I have an extension that shows tilt and movement sensor etc., but in a completely unfamiliar format:  such as: "TILT SENSOR NAME Sbrick PORT A".  My tilt sensor is on port A. I have tried to use this block to no avail. 

A sample program would be great as well as an indication of whether to use the SBRICK application template or the S2BOT template.  I think it should be the SBRICK app as it is the only one with sensors. But how do I use the extension? I would rather not spend an hour on this...

• 361 posts
    February 2, 2017 11:25 AM CET

Wolly Barabash said:

Update, I crated a template scratch file from the red SBRICK application and now I have an extension that shows tilt and movement sensor etc., but in a completely unfamiliar format:  such as: "TILT SENSOR NAME Sbrick PORT A".  My tilt sensor is on port A. I have tried to use this block to no avail. 

A sample program would be great as well as an indication of whether to use the SBRICK application template or the S2BOT template.  I think it should be the SBRICK app as it is the only one with sensors. But how do I use the extension? I would rather not spend an hour on this...

Dear Barabash, 

I have forwarded your suggestion to our developers, they will see what to do. :) 

We ask for your patience, 

Best wishes,
    Balint
    SBrick Team

• February 11, 2017 11:38 PM CET

Hi,

in scratch for windows "set motor A power to 100" block sets motor A power to 100, what is expected and then turns motor A on, what is unexpected. The same issue involved block "set motor A direction to this way" but it was fixed recently (probably in new firmware). When you plan to fix this issue with "set motor A power to 100" block?