Forums » Introduce Yourself

Back To Topics

Hi. Anyone working with Lego WeDo?

• December 21, 2014 6:09 PM CET

[blockquote]PETER CHEN said:

"has no input, just output"

Don't understand. If it has no input then how is it controlled by handphones etc which I have seen in some videos? 

[/blockquote]

It has no LEGO inputs, only the Bluetooth connection to the phones. ;-)

• December 8, 2014 7:34 AM CET

Thank you, contacting me. Yes I have a grandchildren who plays with Lego architecture not WeDo or Mindstorms.

And I am sorry but I can't help you about WeDo.

May be you will find answers here : http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/

Regards.

Charles

• 17 posts
    December 8, 2014 5:52 AM CET

"has no input, just output"

Don't understand. If it has no input then how is it controlled by handphones etc which I have seen in some videos?

• 17 posts
    December 8, 2014 5:36 AM CET

Thanks Jorge. I recently learned that there is this Bluegiga which uses Bluetooth. Can SBrick work with Bluegiga which uses Bluetooth? If not now then perhaps in the future? Is the SBrick team working to integrate Sbrick with Bluegiga plus working with computers with Windows OS rather than Linux.

Bluegiga? Really looking forward to be able to use models created with WeDo without those cumbersome wires.

https://www.bluegiga.com/en-US/

This post was edited by PETER CHEN at December 8, 2014 5:39 AM CET
    • 87 posts
    December 7, 2014 11:33 AM CET

Hello.

I have WeDo but never used the weDo Software or the Activities Packs because I have only Linux which has no official support.

The WeDo is more like a small LEGO Mindstorms unit than a SBrick. Like the Mindstorms it has output devices (motors or lights) and input devices (tilt sensor or distance sensor). Each WeDo USB Hub has 2 ports so each Hub can control independently up to two devices (input or output). But it has no brains like the Mindstorms so all the intelllgence is on the PC.

The SBrick is more like a LEGO Power Functions IR Remote but has 4 ports instead of 2 and uses Bluetooth instead of Infrared. At this early stage, SBrick has no input, just output. So you can controll indendently up to four devices. Like the WeDo Hub, it lacks the brains. But unlike the WeDo, the brains can be anything that support Bluetooth 4.0 (mostly iPhones and recent Androids but also regular computers and some microcontroller frameworks like the Raspberry Pi).

So yes, you can connect SBrick wireless to the computer. But as there are no client tools (yet) for the computer, you need a computer running Linux (like Ubuntu) and you need some programming skills (most likely Python). If you are not familliar with both, I advise you to wait a few months.

• 17 posts
    December 7, 2014 7:39 AM CET

For the  foreseeable future will be working more with Lego WeDo the robotic set for children because I an trying to interest my 3 grandchildren. Anyone here using Lego WeDo? Is there any group for those working with Lego WeDo? I have so far purchased 3 sets, the basic and the resource set combo because 2 is for my 2 daughters' kids while the other one is for me to work on.

I don't know yet exactly how the SBrick works. I see the SBrick is like the the Lego WeDo hub with two connections. With WeDo, one connection is normally connected to a motor and the other is connection to the computer USB hub.

Can these be connected wireless be connected to the computer instead? If yes, I may be interested in pre-ordering one to test.

Also, if we preorder 1, when will be be able to get it? I live in Malaysia.

BTW I recently stared a blog main purpose to encourage my 3 grandchildren to advance in building models from scratch plus learn some basics of robotics:

http://robotics4children.blogspot.com/

This post was edited by PETER CHEN at December 8, 2014 6:36 AM CET