Forums » Support

Back To Topics

SBrick and steering

• S T
    • 3 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:42 AM CEST

Yea, makes sense. Kinda shame, though. I would like to see more smooth steering. The servo motor seems bit jerky... Maybe some day we will see a full range of SBrick parts including such a motor? :)

I got both my SBrick and my servo motor this week. They arrived day after each other in mail. Already finished a quick RC 8070 hack. Now starting my own MOC with mostly 8070 parts :)

(got a L-Motor as well that is so much easier to install to a build than those pesky M-Motors...)

Happy SBricking!

This post was edited by S T at July 29, 2015 10:44 AM CEST
    • 2 posts
    July 29, 2015 10:30 AM CEST

Not unless the standard engine has an encoder that reports back how much it has turned, like a mindstorms engine/servo. That would also of course require some way to read that encoder data back and interpret it - so no, it can't be emulated with a standard engine.

The main reason is that you won't know how much a given engine has turned so you won't know how much to turn it back nor how to instruct it to turn back a specific amount. Simply counting time when it's powered is not accurate enough and will be different on every turn so it would never really center and very quickly be out-of-sync.

The servo engine is expensive but well worth it, Bricklink is your friend :)

This post was edited by Oskar Duveborn at July 29, 2015 10:31 AM CEST
  • S T
    • 3 posts
    July 16, 2015 2:58 PM CEST

OK, thanks for clearing that up. Just thought because there is some scripting available as I understood. Would it not be possible to emulate servo engine with standard engine also :)

This post was edited by S T at July 16, 2015 2:59 PM CEST
    • 164 posts
    July 16, 2015 2:18 PM CEST

You need a servo engine for steering :)

http://powerfunctions.lego.com/en-us/ElementSpecs/88004.aspx

• S T
    • 3 posts
    July 16, 2015 12:56 PM CEST

I just ordered my first SBrick. I am planning to make a RC Lego Car. I watched the videos and understood that using my iPhone I could have a centering steering. My question is what kind of engine I should purchase for this sort of steering? I mean the video where user seems to use a scroller type control to steer and releasing it re-centers the car.

Is this possible with the S-Engine or L-Engine or do I need a servo engine?