Forums » Support

Back To Topics

Using a 3S LiPo

• 6 posts
    October 30, 2017 7:21 PM CET

None of the answers is really helpfull, id rather have a detailed instruction on how to create a safe 3s LiPo Batterybox to be used with an SBrick.

• 1 posts
    October 24, 2017 12:47 PM CEST

Consider using a LiFePO4 battery as stated above.

A 3S LiFePO4 battery will always be below the max safe working voltage when fully charged. (Max voltage for a 3S LiFePO4 battery will be 10.8v when fully charged)

LiFePO4 batteries are also more durable in regards to safety etc as compared to a normal LiPo battery.

• 1 posts
    October 21, 2017 9:39 AM CEST

Hello, I have been running my S-Brick models with 3S LiFePo4 batteries, they are nominal 9.9V, I have just charged one and it is reading 10.2V.

Alternatively you could probably look at a low drop out switchmode regulator to ensure the correct voltage is applied.

I have put together some photos of making the adapter cables for onverting my batteries to Lego PF for my LUG, which I could possibly share if you are interested.

Roland

• 31 posts
    October 21, 2017 7:41 AM CEST

Two solutions:

1. I use a 3S LIPO Milwaukee 12 V battery connected to a adjustable DC power Supply set to 11 volts.

2. I use a regular AA battery pack with 5 NIMH batteries and one LIPO battery.

Both work well, but I'm using them in a high power battle robot application, and the thermal limiting circuitry on the SBrick soon derates the power and ends the fun.  SBRICK needs better power handling.

• 6 posts
    October 20, 2017 1:30 PM CEST

I am having the exact same question and this was discussed here and in other Forums serval times, i would really love to have some instructions that i can use to build my own 3S LiPo that is safe to use with SBrick+!!!

Cant you SBrick Devs publish some legally nonbinding instruction suggestions for us?

This post was edited by Emi Grago at October 20, 2017 1:30 PM CEST
    • 1 posts
    September 17, 2017 2:07 PM CEST

Hey gang.  SBrick max voltage spec says 11.8V.  This would be ideal for a 3S Lipo (11.1V) with the exception that cells typically run > 12V fully charged.  Anyone come up with a way to use a 3S by limiting the max voltage when charged?  I know I could throw some sort of regulator on there, but don't what to throw it away as heat and inefficiency, and it's not needed when the cells fall to acceptable voltage (~11.1V).  I suppose Is there a such a thing as a switching regulator circuit that works when the voltage is above say ~11.5V and then auto bypasses when it goes below that? Or is that wishful thinking?