Forums » Support

Back To Topics

Sbrick Specifications

• 3 posts
    May 19, 2016 2:00 PM CEST

Hey Tamás

Have the tests you mentioned been performed? I would like to know what your results were because the (3rd party) LiFePO4 battery pack I am considering the purchase of is 1000MaH a 15C (giving a maximum current output of 15Amps). It is my understanding that the current the SBrick is exposed to is due to "what the motors etc will draw" as opposed to "what the battery is capable of supplying". Am I correct and will this 15A capability cause damage to the SBrick if used? 

Also, on the topic of current draw, Philo (link below) says that the 5292 RC motor draws "over 3 amps" when stalled. He also says that this figure is innacurate. Is the effect a stalled 5292 motor have on an SBrick catastrophic? Thanks for any clarity you can offer.

Sam

This post was edited by Sam McCall at May 19, 2016 2:13 PM CEST
    • 178 posts
    January 5, 2015 5:38 PM CET

Hi Tim,

the motor driver IC can supply up to 3 amperes on EACH CHANNEL.

But be avare that if you wanted to use such current on all channels, that would mean 12 amps on the input port, and that amount of current would almost certainly cause the wires to overheat. Also, the electronics is enclosed inside a plastic box, so heat cannot escape properly.

We will do current tests to establish safe limits for those willing to hack custom batteries / power supplies.

Officially the SBrick works with LEGO power supplies, and those have a rather conservative current limitation.

• 2 posts
    January 3, 2015 11:31 AM CET

Hi all,

I remember during the kickstarter campaign, there was some mention of the power output potential. Can someone provide the voltage and current input and output limits for the Sbrick.

As the stall current of nxt and L PF motors is significantly higher than 1amp, is it possible to use power supplies that can produce more than 1amp?

Thanks,

Tim

This post was edited by Tim G at January 3, 2015 11:32 AM CET