Forums » Suggestions

Back To Topics

Clinometer Yaw+rotate

• August 7, 2017 1:37 PM CEST
    I have a Galaxy Xcover3. (Android 6.0.1)
    The app says "your device doesn't support the clinometer function"
    Is it the phone's fault or has it to do with the app?
    I'd love to try the clinometer function. Can you help me?
    • 310 posts
    May 8, 2016 8:27 PM CEST

[blockquote]Jonah Vink said: I tried the clinometer function with my ipad air 2. I designed my own profile and downloaded it. I added it to one of my lego cars and the moment that i tapped the profile it closed or crashed the app. How can i fix this?[/blockquote]

Hi! 

Unfortunately, on IOS the sequence and clinometer function is not available yet. (At the moment it works only with the Android system.)
    This is the reason for the crash. In the new IOS application , it will work without any mistake. 

Regards, 

Balint Mezei - SBrick Team  

• 1 posts
    May 8, 2016 2:27 PM CEST
    I tried the clinometer function with my ipad air 2. I designed my own profile and downloaded it. I added it to one of my lego cars and the moment that i tapped the profile it closed or crashed the app. How can i fix this?
  • March 6, 2016 3:08 PM CET

Hello,

great. Thank you for fast reply. After some experiments, I found out, what i did wrong with the clinometer all the time: It only supports the upright-smartphone-joystick-mode :-)

Which means, that phone axes yaw+pitch are mapped to joystick/profile/creation axes pitch+roll. Took me a while to find this out, maybe I overlooked some documentation bits here. Also this means, that the steering angles are always calculated relative to the upright axis, and not relative to some other starting position in 3d space.

So to be more precise, my suggestions are:

- Also support other "starting positions": Upright (done), Steering-Wheel like, as if staring on the display in landscape mode, or maybe others.

- Support all three axes of the phone, and call them like "joystick-pitch" or "phone-yaw" (which currently is the same) and so on.

I can see, that this is not trivial (mathematically), as you have to imagine a virtual "steering column" pointing from the back of your phone into the floor in front of you.

This post was edited by Roland G. Mueller at March 6, 2016 3:12 PM CET
    • 310 posts
    March 6, 2016 1:44 PM CET

Hello! 

Thank you for the suggestions. We followed your advice. 
    In the new version YAW axis will be available. 

Best regards, 

Balint Mezei - SBrick Team 

• March 6, 2016 9:56 AM CET

Yes, I also suggest to support the yaw-axis, because this would be the more natural steering movement, which is also used by racing type apps.

For further ease of use, a graphical hint would be nice, where roll/pitch/yaw-axis are on smartphones. Similar to this graphic from Android Sendors Overview, using the three terms instead of xyz.

• 1 posts
    February 12, 2016 4:13 PM CET

A friend suggested I do a steering wheel style control profile for my car, but I hit a problem (or 2).

The clinometer seems to be only designed for Joystick use - it doesn't have yaw. When the phone is rotated in landscape mode or other, pitch or roll will always be zero.In that mode yaw would need to used.

I noticed there is a rotate feature in the app where you can tune the profile on your phone (not in the designer) - this should be added for all 3 axes as well.