Forums » Suggestions

Back To Topics

A smaller SBRICK ( 2x4)

• November 7, 2019 5:53 PM CET

So, over two years later… any progress yet?

I love the idea and would immediately buy one.

• 310 posts
    April 27, 2017 11:49 AM CEST

[blockquote]Maurice de Regt said:

This project comes very close to this request,, perhaps the team can take a look at it: http://www.hackvandedam.nl/blog/?page_id=593

[/blockquote]

Hello! 

Thank you for sharing this with us. We will check it! 

Have a nice day,

Balint
    SBrick Team

• 4 posts
    April 25, 2017 4:14 PM CEST

This project comes very close to this request,, perhaps the team can take a look at it: http://www.hackvandedam.nl/blog/?page_id=593

• 1 posts
    August 6, 2016 8:42 AM CEST

Hi everyone...as per my knowledge Some simple projects, like small RC cars, need only 2 channels. But in this case, at least one of channels should still be able to deliver considerable power, if e.g. two motors are connected to same output.As 2nd S-Brick unit in applications where 4 more channels are overkill. I have a project currently, where all 4 channels are busy, so LEDs are just added over existing channels or continously lit up. Even one channel more will be enough for me, to turn on/off LEDs. Buying full S-Brick for this is too expensive.

• 16 posts
    May 16, 2016 12:14 PM CEST

Ah yes, if wire goes to side there is no need for one port to be elevated. So brick is smaller, one thing, and then wires can be "crimped" over with some plate, to secure them in place, a feature I greatly miss with current SBrick, low level port wires constantly get disconnected.

This small S-Brick thing is really great, I encountered another application in my builds recently. I used simple grip arm with 2 controls, one for lower/raise, another for grip/release. Now I have to wire grip/release motor all way back to SBrick, with short M-Motor wire, and lower/raise motor wiring is awkward too.

With small S-Brick I can just wire 1 extension wire to the control location, and power both motors from there. Since app can control 2 S-Bricks at a time from one screen, This will work seamlessly.

• 4 posts
    May 16, 2016 11:17 AM CEST

[blockquote]-= Lynx =- said:

So, if you are interested, here is some more pictures

From left to right: front view, back view, 2 small bricks prepared to connect via copper pins, 2 small bricks connected

Red is where power in goes, yellow and purple are out ports.

In this way, user can reverse voltage, so either a diode protection is necessary, or one pin can be made +, and other O.

Wires for outport should then connect sideways, so "yellow" port on 2nd brick will be accessible.

[/blockquote]

Yes but the top must be leveled like my first example, else it gets too big again

This post was edited by Maurice de Regt at May 16, 2016 11:18 AM CEST
    • 16 posts
    May 16, 2016 7:18 AM CEST

So, if you are interested, here is some more pictures

From left to right: front view, back view, 2 small bricks prepared to connect via copper pins, 2 small bricks connected

Red is where power in goes, yellow and purple are out ports.

In this way, user can reverse voltage, so either a diode protection is necessary, or one pin can be made +, and other O.

Wires for outport should then connect sideways, so "yellow" port on 2nd brick will be accessible.

• 310 posts
    May 13, 2016 1:35 PM CEST

[blockquote]-= Lynx =- said:

Hmm, +1 to this idea. Some usages:

1. Some simple projects, like small RC cars, need only 2 channels. But in this case, at least one of channels should still be able to deliver considerable power, if e.g. two motors are connected to same output.

2. As 2nd S-Brick unit in applications where 4 more channels are overkill. I have a project currently, where all 4 channels are busy, so LEDs are just added over existing channels or continously lit up. Even one channel more will be enough for me, to turn on/off LEDs. Buying full S-Brick for this is too expensive.

3. As alternative to buying one 4-channel S-Brick to power 2 small models, at the same price. E.g. two persons building competing cars, or 2 trains on same tracks. In large builds 4 channel version is more useful, because of 1 power in -> 4 outs, so they will have different niche.

As a though, about holes to make chained power. There are LEGO bricks with pin holes where holes are 1-to-1 with studs. So with 2x4 studs brick there may be 2 holes. Make these holes compatible to lego pinds as with current case. Next, put power receptacles inside holes. And last make pins from conducting material. Then if 2 such bricks are combined, power is transferred via these pins. If one is used, pin holes can be used as usual for building. Will make pictures of it.

[/blockquote]

Thank you for the suggestion guys!

We also think it is a good idea. We look into what can we do. :) 

Regards, 

Balint Mezei - SBrick Team 

• 16 posts
    May 11, 2016 4:59 PM CEST

Hmm, +1 to this idea. Some usages:

1. Some simple projects, like small RC cars, need only 2 channels. But in this case, at least one of channels should still be able to deliver considerable power, if e.g. two motors are connected to same output.

2. As 2nd S-Brick unit in applications where 4 more channels are overkill. I have a project currently, where all 4 channels are busy, so LEDs are just added over existing channels or continously lit up. Even one channel more will be enough for me, to turn on/off LEDs. Buying full S-Brick for this is too expensive.

3. As alternative to buying one 4-channel S-Brick to power 2 small models, at the same price. E.g. two persons building competing cars, or 2 trains on same tracks. In large builds 4 channel version is more useful, because of 1 power in -> 4 outs, so they will have different niche.

As a though, about holes to make chained power. There are LEGO bricks with pin holes where holes are 1-to-1 with studs. So with 2x4 studs brick there may be 2 holes. Make these holes compatible to lego pinds as with current case. Next, put power receptacles inside holes. And last make pins from conducting material. Then if 2 such bricks are combined, power is transferred via these pins. If one is used, pin holes can be used as usual for building. Will make pictures of it.

• 310 posts
    May 9, 2016 12:35 PM CEST

[blockquote]Maurice de Regt said:

Hi all,

I think a smaller and cheaper sbrick would be great. I have some old 80tish trainsets i want to add powerfunctions to it and there is just no room in it for the current sbrick. Also the BNSF locomotive (more recent) has no place for it, so I figured, why not make a smaller sbrick. Make it 2x4 so we can connect 2 connectors to it. This size can be put in almost any trainset and will make a great addition to the normal sbrick. Let's call it: The mini SBRICK. It could look like this:

The red part is where we connect the mini sbrick to the battery. On top we can put 2 connectors. 

Optional, make this one extendable (if people need more connections). If we look at my example picture again you also see 2 black dots. The 2 black dots are holes. On the other side of the brick the are 2 small pins. This way we can connect 2 (or more) mini bricks to each other giving it more options to connect things to.

So:

+  

Ofcourse when combined the (in this case) second red spot doesnt need to be connected to the power supply since it gets the power from the pins. So we have a small sbrick and we can even extend it, but keeping it rather small

Some benefits:

1. Small, so it can be used in more LEGO sets
    2. Cheaper, so you can sell more ;)
    3. Optional: extendable

Let me know what you think of it.

Regards,

Maurice

[/blockquote]

Hello Maurice! 

Thank you for the suggestion, we check out what could we do. :) 

Regards, 

Balint Mezei - SBrick Team 

• 4 posts
    May 6, 2016 12:20 PM CEST

Hi all,

I think a smaller and cheaper sbrick would be great. I have some old 80tish trainsets i want to add powerfunctions to it and there is just no room in it for the current sbrick. Also the BNSF locomotive (more recent) has no place for it, so I figured, why not make a smaller sbrick. Make it 2x4 so we can connect 2 connectors to it. This size can be put in almost any trainset and will make a great addition to the normal sbrick. Let's call it: The mini SBRICK. It could look like this:

The red part is where we connect the mini sbrick to the battery. On top we can put 2 connectors. 

Optional, make this one extendable (if people need more connections). If we look at my example picture again you also see 2 black dots. The 2 black dots are holes. On the other side of the brick the are 2 small pins. This way we can connect 2 (or more) mini bricks to each other giving it more options to connect things to.

So:

+  

Ofcourse when combined the (in this case) second red spot doesnt need to be connected to the power supply since it gets the power from the pins. So we have a small sbrick and we can even extend it, but keeping it rather small

Some benefits:

1. Small, so it can be used in more LEGO sets
    2. Cheaper, so you can sell more ;)
    3. Optional: extendable

Let me know what you think of it.

Regards,

Maurice

This post was edited by Maurice de Regt at May 6, 2016 12:20 PM CEST