Forums » Support

Back To Topics

SBrick Android App

• 28 posts
    August 14, 2015 8:31 AM CEST

You are indeed right.

• August 14, 2015 7:10 AM CEST
    Antonis, yes, I know. But there are actual date (13 august) on the app's page.

More than 12 hours passed since this update, and we still have old app.
    • 28 posts
    August 13, 2015 7:37 PM CEST

It takes a while before apk's that are uploaded to the play store get to users.

• August 13, 2015 6:42 PM CEST

Hi, Tamás!

New simple app is not available now. When you try to install it from market - only the old version is installed instead of a new.

Here is comparison:
    This is "new" version from Google Play that I just installed

And this is picture from app's page on Google Play

See the difference?

This post was edited by Alexey Tikhvinsky at August 13, 2015 6:43 PM CEST
    • 178 posts
    August 13, 2015 3:58 PM CEST

Hi everyone. We've successfully conducted the test for which Tamas needed people. We needed to test the 4.4 firmware, we've concluded it works fine.

I've posted this in the front page news stream, but I think it's worth repeating here:

We've updated the SBrick Simple Control Android application. Possibility to control 2 SBricks, OTA, and a few more features were added. The connection layer was rewritten, if it proves to be robust enough, it'll be integrated into the official SBrick application. You'll be able to download it from the Google Play store soon.

Many of you had a hard time getting the SBrick to work again after an OTA firmware upgrade. You can read the explanation and explore possible workarounds on this wiki page: https://social.sbrick.com/wiki/view/pageId/34/slug/android-sbrick-stops-working-after-ota-workaround.

Please test the new Simple Control application, and with it please upgrade your firmwares to 4.4.

Good luck with the tests ;)

• 164 posts
    August 11, 2015 2:58 PM CEST

Hi Guys,

We are looking for someone who has an Android device and a WindowsPhone device as well.
    Please contact us at: info@sbrick.com 

• August 10, 2015 2:32 PM CEST

Good day, Android users!

Today I have noticed strange thing with my Samsung Galaxy Note (N7000). Some time ago I tried to install Sbrick app on it, but the only thing I see was notification that "this device is not supported". It's a normal thing because Note 1 supports only Bluetooth 3.0, not BLE, not even 4.0

But after firmware update (Ressurection Remix, Android 5.1.1) I went to Play Market to check out for newer version of SBrick and what did I see? "The application is compatible with all your devices" 
    I press "Install" button, chose my Note, and here it is!

The app works, works flawlessly, no freezes, no lags, no disconnects or crashes. My Sony Xperia Z Ultra with same version of Android works waaay worst. 

So, I have to admit that Galaxy Note has BLE hardware support! It's great! Maybe someone will find useful my experience and also be able to upgrade to Android 5.1+ that will solve all problems with connection.

This post was edited by Alexey Tikhvinsky at August 10, 2015 2:33 PM CEST
    • 340 posts
    August 5, 2015 10:23 AM CEST

[blockquote]Ken Wautelet said:

Hello, i try to install Sbrick on my galaxy tab 2 and goggle store say that is not compatible.

on my iphone and on a galaxy s4 mini its ok but my tablette have a bigger screen.

[/blockquote]

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxytab2/7.0/spec.html?type=find

Unfortunately this device old android 4.0 (BLE support needs 4.3+) and not supports bluetooth 4.0 this is why the store refuses the install.

• 4 posts
    August 5, 2015 12:00 AM CEST

Hello, i try to install Sbrick on my galaxy tab 2 and goggle store say that is not compatible.

on my iphone and on a galaxy s4 mini its ok but my tablette have a bigger screen.

• 99 posts
    July 29, 2015 6:32 PM CEST

I don't plan to use the rechargeable BB. Too expensive (80 euros in France or on Bricklink), and you lose 18% of power while you gain only 30g...

• 5 posts
    July 28, 2015 10:12 PM CEST

[blockquote]Marc Jaouen said:

[blockquote]Matej Grajcár said:Driving to the empty battery on one time.[/blockquote]

You're right: I had never purchased as many batteries as in the last months - LOL !!!

[/blockquote]

I'd Advice getting the rechargable battery box, ive spend about 50 euro on it (was on sale in a store nearby including charger) 

i noticed the fully charged box lasted longer than any battery ive used so far, and the recharge time aint bad either.. (pro tip: get 2 or more battery boxes then you got a few spares, and you're always ready t drive!)

btw, does a charged battery box matter when upgrading the firmware on the s-brick? if so, it may be wise to add it to the line of text when you upgrade the firmware: '' be sure you use fully charged or full battery's''

• 99 posts
    July 28, 2015 9:23 PM CEST

[blockquote]Matej Grajcár said:Driving to the empty battery on one time.[/blockquote]

You're right: I had never purchased as many batteries as in the last months - LOL !!!

• 5 posts
    July 28, 2015 9:17 PM CEST

[blockquote]Matej Grajcár said:

If I watch videos some another members with working Sbrick and breaking speed records I have feeling sometime that I am foolish or doing something wrong

[/blockquote]

Certainly not :)

We all have trouble with this Android app, and believe me, even if the videos look cool, it's not that easy! When you keep 5 seconds of film, you usually throw away 10 minutes of footage!

The key issue is the Android concept itself: Android 5.0 is probably the first real good version, the OS itself is far from perfect. Some devices work fine, others do not, the BLE unit being probably the key factor.

I have purchased a new phone 3 weeks ago (I used a tablet + a classic phone before that), and I must admit that my first motivation was to have an Android device that would work fine with my SBrick!!!!

With this Sony under Lollipop, I have both a correct phone for a decent price, and a Remote Control that works :)

I had also envisaged seriously to buy a second hand mini iPad only for that, but it would have been stupid considering the price.

[/blockquote]

Mr you have my respect for you video. I thing all together /customers and developers/ achieve the mision:driving to the empty battery on one time.     

• 164 posts
    July 28, 2015 8:47 PM CEST

Guys, thanks for the feedbacks and bugreports. Our developers will investigate every report and you will get a new status about the new Android application soon.

The application has greatly improved in the last few months, currently it works well on lot of devices, but we see, it doesn't work perceftly on every android devices yet. But you don't need worry, we work hard on the application. More info soon!

Thanks for your help and patience. 

• 99 posts
    July 28, 2015 8:44 PM CEST

[blockquote]Matej Grajcár said:

If I watch videos some another members with working Sbrick and breaking speed records I have feeling sometime that I am foolish or doing something wrong

[/blockquote]

Certainly not :)

We all have trouble with this Android app, and believe me, even if the videos look cool, it's not that easy! When you keep 5 seconds of film, you usually throw away 10 minutes of footage!

The key issue is the Android concept itself: Android 5.0 is probably the first real good version, the OS itself is far from perfect. Some devices work fine, others do not, the BLE unit being probably the key factor.

I have purchased a new phone 3 weeks ago (I used a tablet + a classic phone before that), and I must admit that my first motivation was to have an Android device that would work fine with my SBrick!!!!

With this Sony under Lollipop, I have both a correct phone for a decent price, and a Remote Control that works :)

I had also envisaged seriously to buy a second hand mini iPad only for that, but it would have been stupid considering the price.

• 5 posts
    July 28, 2015 8:19 PM CEST

Hi all, I receive my Sbrick few days ago. After several testing days and searching on Forums it’s time to write note about my experience.

1. I was not able to update sbrick with ONE +, I must use Yoga 2 tablet
    2. After updating and port testing I find that one of them works also on One, Then I start to build lego set powered by PF and Sbrick, where I work with one of them on One+
    1. After few days I start working on another lego set and second Sbrick work only with Yoga 2, One + can discover the second one, but if I try port testing nothing happened. This is same also if I try used SBrick Simple Control. Then I say (after several time update Sbrick and reinstall app) „ ok, no problem, I can live with that“.
    2. Short inside testing fine. Small flat, big lego cars :-), what can we do? – Let´s go outside, but then come little bit disappointing. Too much sbrick reconnecting, lost of power even I hold slider on maximum and loosing connections when cars go to distance more like 3 meters.
    3. I tested again at home and find that when I lost control I must switch on/off BLT on device and then it´s working few seconds.

I still believe that Sbrick is a great product with lot of opportunities in future and also I understand of variability on android devices, but there is a weakness on stability in app and control functions.

If I watch videos some another members with working Sbrick and breaking speed records I have feeling sometime that I am foolish or doing something wrong J And no company want to make customer fell “foolish”. :-)

Please can you look on it, if is posible to fix. I use: One + one, Android 5.0.2 Cyanogen 12.0, Yoga Tablet 2, Android 5.0.1 booth with BLT 4.0

p.s.: I made video of testing, if you want I can share it. 

• July 26, 2015 3:57 PM CEST

And that would be it now? 1 month no update. A half-finished app. Dead end :-(

• 99 posts
    July 25, 2015 11:25 PM CEST

[blockquote]vijay jansen said:

It does ask to reconect when driving around (using a pre made profile), randomly, but it still works if i tap on the background (bug?, glitch?)

[/blockquote]

I have the same problem, especially outdoor. Rather a random problem: it can happen several times in a row or it can disappear during several minutes. Strange...

I have a question: I have seen in several MOC's on youtube profiles with two controls assigned to the same channel. Like:

- an acceleration slider coupled with a full power button

- two acceleration sliders: full power and 75% power for example

- steering slider AND binary steering (full left and full right buttons)

Can this be done with the Android App, or is it possible only with the iOS version ???

Edit: found the answer by myself... Two controls can be assigned to the same channel in the Profile Manager. When you edit the controls parameters, e.g. names = Slider 1 and Slider 2, then CH = Speed for the both of them ! The two sliders will control all the port assigned to "Speed". A bit tricky, but it works :)

This post was edited by Marc Jaouen at July 26, 2015 1:22 AM CEST
    • 5 posts
    July 25, 2015 2:31 PM CEST

Great news! after trying the app again 2 weeks ago, it worked!

i had to instal the firmware twice though, but i dont mind it, it just worked after so long.. but there are a few things that are a slight annoyance:

It does ask to reconect when driving around (using a pre made profile), randomly, but it still works if i tap on the background (bug?, glitch?)

and it can also crash, rarely (pre made profile is used to drive around)

Phone: Motorola Moto G 2014 kitkat

(using the latest app version, which i think is 1.6.1)

(sbrick states in the config menu on a profile: software version 4.3 - hardware version 4.0)

i hope this helps others!

ps: i used to put my sbrick on a rechargable battery box, fully charged and then i put my phone next to it, on a flat surface.. like a table.. and then i updated the firmware, twice. once it was one, turned on/off bluetooth, and turned on/off the s-brick (i know its not needed.. but it worked so why not)

• 4 posts
    July 20, 2015 1:32 PM CEST

[blockquote]Imre Kiss said:

[blockquote]Adam Kozak said:

Hi Guys,

after some time away from my SBrick today I tried to get it working.

I updated the app on my HTC One M7 to the latest, 1.6.1, and I was not able to update the SBrick firmware. I asked some help from a friend who has an iPhone and was able to update the firmware and the port tester was working.

Back to my HTC One M7 and I was able to connect to the brick but the port tester was not working, nor any actual profiles. While moving the sliders the motor is not powered, also the LED on the brick is always on, tapping the "Identify LED" button in the app does nothing.

Can anyone test it with an HTC? I assume there must be some issue with the Android app, as the functions were working in the Apple version.

Thanks!

[/blockquote]

Try to delete and reinstall app, please.

[/blockquote]

I did. Multiple times. Over the weekend I tried the app with my brother's phone, Lenovo Vibe Z2 Pro, and it was working. (only tried with the port tester).

It seems that my phone is not compatible somehow. Is it possible to tweak the app to work?

• 18 posts
    July 20, 2015 11:21 AM CEST

[blockquote]Adam Kozak said:

Hi Guys,

I updated the app on my HTC One M7 to the latest, 1.6.1, and I was not able to update the SBrick firmware. I asked some help from a friend who has an iPhone and was able to update the firmware and the port tester was working.

Back to my HTC One M7 and I was able to connect to the brick but the port tester was not working, nor any actual profiles. While moving the sliders the motor is not powered, also the LED on the brick is always on, tapping the "Identify LED" button in the app does nothing.

Can anyone test it with an HTC? I assume there must be some issue with the Android app, as the functions were working in the Apple version.

Thanks!

[/blockquote]

Try to delete and reinstall app, please.

• 1 posts
    July 16, 2015 12:37 AM CEST

Hello, I have bought the SBrick a little while back. I downloaded the app, but it is not flawless.

1. Any time I try to use the pre-made Android Profiles, the app crashes

2. If I make my own profile, it does not pop up under the "My Profiles" tab, in fact it does not pop up at all.

3. If I try to use any of the other public profiles, I can not distribute the tasks, becasue the app simply forgets that I selected that profile.

Other than that, everything works fine, but it is definitly a beta.

• 4 posts
    July 8, 2015 6:08 PM CEST

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

• 143 posts
    July 6, 2015 11:11 AM CEST

My post was confusing...

Galaxy Note, 1280 x 800 : 16:10 aspect ratio. The app lets me download 16:10 profiles, but they are dismorphed (especially the joysticks)

Sony Xperia, 1280 x 720 : 16:9 aspect ratio. I can download 16:9 profiles that are correctly displayed on the phone screen.

Hence my conclusion : there's a problem in the 16:10 screens rendering...

[/blockquote]

Thanks for the clarification! We're going to debug it. 

• 99 posts
    July 6, 2015 11:05 AM CEST

My post was confusing...

Galaxy Note, 1280 x 800 : 16:10 aspect ratio. The app lets me download 16:10 profiles, but they are dismorphed (especially the joysticks)

Sony Xperia, 1280 x 720 : 16:9 aspect ratio. I can download 16:9 profiles that are correctly displayed on the phone screen.

Hence my conclusion : there's a problem in the 16:10 screens rendering...