Forums » Suggestions

Back To Topics

Future hardware addons

• 143 posts
    August 8, 2014 9:14 PM CEST

If you have any suggestion about the extension of SBrick with new hardware addons, you can write it here.

• August 15, 2014 4:44 PM CEST

GPS tracker brick (also usefull for speed measuring) , programable 8 RGB LED light brick, rpm measure brick (also usefull for return to center and other robotics things because it will count exact rotations), touch sensor, G-force measurer brick.

Yeah, I have too much imagination :P

• 4 posts
    August 16, 2014 7:38 PM CEST
    Actually, many of these features (rpm monitoring, touch and gyro sensors) are implemented in EV3 Mindstorm... So allowing the app to connect both to SBrick and EV3 or to develop a SBrick-EV3 connection would allow them.
    • 9 posts
    August 23, 2014 1:09 PM CEST

A camera which streams real time video to your device and have a button to record it

• 4 posts
    October 2, 2014 8:57 AM CEST

[blockquote]Caoimhin Marsh said:

A camera which streams real time video to your device and have a button to record it

[/blockquote]

This, so much! Heard you guys were workingon the camBrick, how far are you from release?

• 143 posts
    October 2, 2014 5:33 PM CEST

We have a development module for it. It needs more work to create the first working prototype. Now we are focusing to take SBrick into production. So CamBrick comes in 2015.

• 9 posts
    October 7, 2014 8:19 PM CEST

A rotary encoder device (similar to MS GlideWheel http://www.mindsensors.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=173) would be really nice.

That would allow to turn PF motors into servos (but without the limitation of the LEGO PF Servo of 180 degrees range)

• 195 posts
    October 14, 2014 12:27 PM CEST

The rotary encoder is a great idea, thank you :)

• 9 posts
    October 14, 2014 1:10 PM CEST

Also, I was wondering if you could use the other two lines for this. The PF cable has 4 wires, two for electrical power, and two which I don't know exactly what they do. Maybe they can be used for input, perhaps LEGO has plans for i2c also on the PF series.

In this case, maybe a project for a whole servo motor with position feedback would be also nice!

• 195 posts
    October 14, 2014 2:59 PM CEST

Yes, the two outer wires are + and -, and are NOT used by the PF motors. Only the servo motor uses them to get the constant power it needs for it's electronics.

Also, the IR receiver and the SBrick too draws power from these lines.

The two middle wires are the control wires, they are used by the PF motors. The servo motor listens to these lines to determine the angle it should turn it's axis.

SBrick can also draw power from the control lines, so it can be powered by tran / old power supplies.

A lot of detailed information can be found here: http://www.philohome.com/pf/pf.htm

• 10 posts
    October 16, 2014 10:16 AM CEST

[blockquote]Roberto Vengut Tro said:

GPS tracker brick (also usefull for speed measuring)

[/blockquote]

I don't think GPS is useful unless you plan to travel great distances outside with your device. GPS can't supply enough detail for speed measuring on a Lego-scale.

I really like the video streaming idea.

• 11 posts
    October 21, 2014 11:36 AM CEST
    i re-post this idea in this topic To make It more visibile to The community

New idea for the app! Taken From normal rc model radio: an EPA (end point adjustment) and a trim for the servo motor, it could be useful in some kind of stering that require 90º rotation instead of 180º
    • 195 posts
    October 21, 2014 2:29 PM CEST

Hi Paolo!

Yes, we're considering this feature, thank you!

• November 27, 2014 1:38 PM CET

I suggest one simple add-on for the next generatiion SBrick: A magnetic switch (reed switch). I then could place a magnet under or next to a track/road and determine (and pass back to the contolling application) when the engine/car passes the magnet. Could be used for speed measuring, train layout watchdog (train X has not passed the magnet, go check whether it has derailed somewhere), etc.

And advanced concept would be a brick with two quantum hall sensors so I could make a model follow a wire under the surface.

• 111 posts
    November 27, 2014 3:12 PM CET

I would prefer just a generic port for input, like the LEGO WeDo USB hub, so we can plug our own sensors (including, of course, a switch like a reed switch or a touch switch). Perhaps including a reed switch inside the SBrick is a cheaper solution (no modifications to the case mold) but narrows our options.

• 18 posts
    December 8, 2014 10:08 AM CET

I love Jorge suggestion, a generic port for input, like the Lego Wedo USB hub because I have 3 grandchildren with the WeDo robotic set. Looking forward to that day when it is done.

"SBrick can also draw power from the control lines, so it can be powered by tran/old power supplies" Would that mean if SBrick can connect wirelessly to the computer USB it means we may not need onboard battery because currently the WeDo motor draw power from the computer USB port?

• 195 posts
    December 11, 2014 11:36 AM CET

The generic input brick is something that keeps coming up on branstorms. We either manufacture separate BLE input devices, or a generic one, plus a few stuf that can work with it, or possibly be compatible with WeDo.

If we ever start to actually implement an input system, it will probably look like an SBrick, and work with WeDo input devices. Less work, faster TTM, smarter use of resources already available (mould: done, contacts: done, input devices: done).

• 5 posts
    December 28, 2014 3:00 PM CET

I would like to see a 3x3 studless size version.The more conection points to attache the Receiver the better.

All my builds are desigend to fit the new Lego PF engines that are having a 3x3 face.

The original IR as well as the SBrick will always require some weird tweaking into the models as they are a 4x4 base design. Maybe the next SBrick could me longer but only featuring the 3x3 face (similar like the PF M or L-Motor shapes).

• 18 posts
    December 28, 2014 5:25 PM CET

I post a suggestion, 

Would it be possible with Sbrick in the next version to control a gearbox with 4 servo motors with a small program ? I made ​​a big truck lego that includes a gearbox 12 forward and 2 back and I would like ordering at the touch of more or less.
  • January 3, 2015 1:56 AM CET
    How about a voltage/power meter showing on the app?
  • January 3, 2015 10:32 AM CET

[blockquote]Joachim Jacobsen said: How about a voltage/power meter showing on the app?[/blockquote]

That is. indeed, a very good idea. Take a  voltage divider for the input power and measure it in one of the analog ports.

Leg bedre, Christian

• 195 posts
    January 5, 2015 5:03 PM CET

Hubraum 6.8: it's not likely we'll start manufacturing different shapes very soon. A large part of the development time and money went into the PCB and plastic. It would be hard tokeep the prices at sensible levels if we were about start developing a new form. However if there's enough demand... ;)

Maxim Boche: we're already doing experiments with gearboxes, it's on the TODO list ;)

Joachim Jacobsen: this feature was planned from the beginning, everything is inside SBrick measure the battery voltage. The chip can also measure the internal temperature, a thermometer display would be nice for hackers building power tools from LEGO

• 1 posts
    January 9, 2015 11:54 PM CET

A built in power-in line. Silly to ask really, but the rest of the power functions range has a wire in and it's a faff to have to go and buy a seperate one. Note this isn't a deal breaker by a long way, but it would make the first day of tinkering a bit easier for many people, expecially if they immediatley try and swap out the IR receiver brick.

• January 28, 2015 1:15 AM CET

[blockquote]Caoimhin Marsh said:

[/blockquote]

i say :  YES

• January 28, 2015 1:17 AM CET

[blockquote]Lénárd Pásztor said:

We have a development module for it. It needs more work to create the first working prototype. Now we are focusing to take SBrick into production. So CamBrick comes in 2015.

[/blockquote]

:)