Forums » Support

Back To Topics

LED Not working

• 310 posts
    August 19, 2017 9:03 PM CEST

[blockquote]Connor Mate said:

Hello, I have a problem with my S brick, it wont turn on. I opened the shell of it to see what was wrong but couldn't find anything except the would led flash for a quarter of a second when I attach the extention wire from the battery box to the brick but the led wasn't bright, I could only just see it. Please help!

[/blockquote]

Dear Connor, 

Regarding the LED flashing, it isn't mean that the sbrick would be wrong. :)

Would you be so kind as to send us an e-mail at info@sbrick.com with the details of the issue. 

Please mention the device you use, and if it possible please create us a short video about the exact things you tried. 

Thank you! 

Best wishes,
    Balint
    SBrick Team

• 1 posts
    August 19, 2017 12:17 PM CEST

Hello, I have a problem with my S brick, it wont turn on. I opened the shell of it to see what was wrong but couldn't find anything except the would led flash for a quarter of a second when I attach the extention wire from the battery box to the brick but the led wasn't bright, I could only just see it. Please help!

• 178 posts
    January 7, 2015 10:03 PM CET

The new firmware can be uploaded by using the "OTA" function of the mobile applications.

Note that currently it's impossible to read the SBrick's firmware version (only with generic BLE tools), or the version of the firmware that is being uploaded, so the OTA function is there at all times, even after a successful update. (We keep improving the application, and since the we're behind schedule, we want the most important features to be out ASAP, even if they not quite complete. This is such a function, and it will be improved vastly in the near future.)

The LED can only glow green, it doesn't even have a PWM connected to it, so the intensity can't be controlled (althoug it does "look" like a fifth channel from the software, and one can blink it by "going forward" or "backward", and can be lit continuously by "staying still").

This same LED flashes rapidly while an OTA is taking place, or the user flash is being deleted at boot time. (Only on firmwares >4.1).

• January 7, 2015 3:30 PM CET

Same here: no led blink on first startup (or not detected) very short blink after a few seconds on subsequent startups. 

A slightly longer blink would be enough as far as I am concerned, but turning it on is fine too. Is the LED single colour or does it appear to be a different colour due to the different intensity? If it is capable of emitting different colours you could use those to idicate state and ID the SBrick. Else you could decide to use a lower intensity for "on" and full intensiy for ID.

How can I install the new firmware you mention?

• 10 posts
    January 5, 2015 9:22 PM CET

Thanks for the update! I already understood indeed that it's not intended to stay on, but in combination with the current version of the app not connecting to the Sbrick, it wasn't immediately clear if it was a software or hardware issue. The new firmware sounds like an improvement on that part, as it provides more intuitive feedback to the user.

• 178 posts
    January 5, 2015 5:51 PM CET

That LED is the identification LED and was not inteded to be a "power LED".

In the early firmware versions, the LED only turned on when it was instructed to do so. It's function is to serve as an identification method in case of using multiple SBricks. You can quickly check which BSrick you are connected to by pressing a test button.

However we've received many reports from customers thinking their SBrick is faulty because of the dark LED. Therefore our newest firmware will kep the LED on, and it will blink when the ID function is on.

Just a quick flash (almost nothing really) is fine. To be honest, that flash is just a technical glitch, it shouldn't really happen. If you're LED is dark, your SBrick is probably works OK. Try to find it with the application.

If the app can't find it, try Nordic's nRF master controller application. You should see a sevice called "SBrick" (or "SmartBrick" in case of very early prototype hardware).

• 28 posts
    December 31, 2014 6:33 PM CET

Where can I find the test util?

• 10 posts
    December 29, 2014 9:41 PM CET

Mine also gave a tiny blink on powerup, but the the LED won't come on under testing unless I open the casing. By the way, the plastic you see is redirecting the light from a surface-mounted LED, so there are no wires to break.

• 17 posts
    December 26, 2014 4:53 PM CET

If it still flashes via power, should be okay.

Do the ports work via the test util?

When my LED doesn't work via test util, neither do the ports and that seems to be a bluetooth pairing issue. If it is paired properly, both work fine.

It seems brick pairing is "delicate" at the moment.

• 10 posts
    December 26, 2014 3:41 AM CET
    Having similar issues, except mine isn't working. LED indeed gives a very short and hard to notice blink when attached to power, but never switches on constantly. Also, it was sticking out of the brick a bit, about 2 mm, but when I touched it, it slid into the casing, hoping it didn't break a wire or so.
    • 17 posts
    December 24, 2014 7:38 PM CET

Noticed the incredibly slight flicker on startup. Yeah, I think you could do with increasing the time that is on for and maybe also the brightness.

That said, the first time I tested the brick, it still didn't light up. Does now.

• 340 posts
    December 24, 2014 7:23 PM CET

OK, thanks for the report! So this is not a hardware problem. The fix for the led comes in the next SBrick firmware release.

• 17 posts
    December 24, 2014 7:20 PM CET

This is the odd thing. When I connected the power. Nothing. Not a sausage.

When I tried the test thing, nothing.

Came, wrote this. Phone went to idle. Came back to it, tried it again and LED works.

Not sure if it is tempramental or was just in a tiz initially. Will keep an eye on it.

• 340 posts
    December 24, 2014 7:13 PM CET
    Is it blink for a short time when you power on the SBrick?
    • 17 posts
    December 24, 2014 7:08 PM CET

I am guessing the dot on the front is the LED.

When I connect the power, it doesn't come on. When I switch the LED on and off via the SBrick test on the APP, it doesn't work.

Controlling a motor does work though, so there is power etc.

Anyone else having this issue?