Forums » Support

Back To Topics

Device-SBrick connection/compatibility statistics

• 340 posts
    January 13, 2015 5:11 PM CET

[blockquote]Matej Papluh said:

I'd like to propose collecting the connection and compatibility statistics for the different devices to see if there is some correlation to different devices, OS versions, customizations, etc.

Please note that :
    - as we know the SW is still in early phases, this should rely to the basic function of connection creation and stability over time.
    - please be factual, saying just "it's a piece of ...lemon" without providing data won't help anybody
    - try use the following format or provide enough data for it, I'll try to edit the first post with this data
    grade(OS version incl. possible mods/roots; SBrick app; SW version; name; date)
    - not trying to hijack the main app threads this one should be only for collecting statistics

S - everything is awesome level - can connect anytime, anywhere, never drops,...
    A - generally usable level - can connect most of the time on first try in SBrick apps, needs at most quitting the app (incl closing it) or jump in and out of profiles to detect the brick (without editing then), connection does not drop while running
    B - minor nuisance = solved inside the app- for the connection to be recognized you need to add/remove/edit profiles or rediscover SBricks inside the app; or connection drops while playing but can be re-established inside the app
    C - major nuisance = solved outside the app - to get the connection you need to wipe the SBrick app from device and/or remove BT devices from the system; connection drops that need the same action to be solved
    D - no connection in SBrick app but 3rd party OK - the SBrick app cannot find/connect to device or won't hold connection, but 3rd party app like nRF Control panel on Android can and while the commands from those work (promise of bright future :) )
    E - not stable anywhere - SBrick cannot be controlled from SBrick apps or 3rd party apps, either quickly dropping connection or not being discovered while paired
    F - the SBrick is not even recognized by system as BT device or cannot be paired :( - please state if the SBrick HW works with other device and is not completely dead

Android

- Asus Memo Pad 7 ME572C - 1xA - A (Android 4.4.2, 16GB, Wifi; 0.26; Philo; 13/Jan/2015)
    - Google Nexus 7 (2013/2nd gen) - 1x A - A(4.4.4 US 32GB no3G; 0.25; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    - HTC ONE (M7/1st gen) - 1x A - A(4.4.3 T-Mobile; 0.22; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    - Motorola Moto G 1st gen - 1x A - A(4.4.4; 0.21; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    - Motorola Moto G 2nd gen - 1x A - A(4.4.4; 0.21; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    Motorola Razr MAXX HD - 1x D - D(?; 0.21; Jesse M; 04/Jan/2015)
    - Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7100) - 1x A - A(4.4.2 Fr 16Gb no4G rooted; 0.0.21; S. CACHEUX; 02/Jan/2015)
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-19300) - 1x A 3x D (possibly fixed in .25+) - A(4.3; 0.25; Jeroen Stap; 08/Jan/2015); D(4.3; 0.21; Norman Chalcraft; 02/Jan/2015), D(4.3; 0.21; Maxim Baybakov; 02/Jan/2015), D(4.3; 0.21; Tim G; 03/Jan/2015); 
    - Samsung Galaxy S4 - 1x B - B (4.?; 0.2?; Toku Betsu; 02/Jan/2015)5)
    Samsung TabPro 10.1 (SM-T525) -  1xA  -  A(4.4.2/4.4.4 16GB 3G; 0.26; David M.; 08/Jan/2015)
    Sony Xperia Z2 (D6503) - 1x D - C/D (4.4.2; 0.21; Tim G; 03/Jan/2015)

iOS
    - iPad Mini 1 (ME824ZP/A) - 1x E - E (iOS 7.1.2; 3.0; Taka; 08/Jan/2015)
    - iPad Air 2 (MH182HC/A)
     - 1x A - A (iOS 8.1.2; 3.0; Jeroen Stap; 05/Jan/2015)
    - iPhone 4S
    - 1x F - F (?; 3.0?; Toku Betsu; 02/Jan/2015)
    - iPhone 5S - 1x E - E (iOS 8.1.2; 3.0?; Taka; 08/Jan/2015)
    - iPhone 6 - 1x A - A (iOS 8.1.2; 3.0; Tull Clancey; 02/Jan/2015)

[/blockquote]

We created a wiki page for the device compatibility. Please help to improve it!

We also have a page for device that SBrick can drive here

Thank you!

• 340 posts
    January 13, 2015 5:07 PM CET

[blockquote]Matej Papluh said:

Thanks, Philo.

[blockquote]Maxim Baybakov said:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UFWNYyyEU[/blockquote]

Just a question, does the ASUS shows this behavior ? Please write to generic Android app thread if yes as not to break the thread. Thanks.

[/blockquote]

This will be problem in the Android app. I forwarded it to the developer.

Thanks for the video!

• 34 posts
    January 13, 2015 1:43 PM CET

Thanks, Philo.

[blockquote]Maxim Baybakov said:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UFWNYyyEU[/blockquote]

Just a question, does the ASUS shows this behavior ? Please write to generic Android app thread if yes as not to break the thread. Thanks.

• 16 posts
    January 13, 2015 1:30 PM CET

Hi all,

Android
    Asus Memo Pad 7 ME572C - A (Android 4.4.2, 16GB, Wifi; 0.26; Philo; 13/Jan/2015)

Philo

This post was edited by Philippe Hurbain at January 13, 2015 1:30 PM CET
    • 178 posts
    January 9, 2015 11:04 AM CET

Thank you, we'll figure out something.

• January 8, 2015 3:02 PM CET

Hello SBrick Friends,

Adding 2 more iOS.  Unfortunatelly none worked for me so far.

- iPhone 5S
     - 1x E - E (iOS 8.1.2; 3.0?; Taka; 08/Jan/2015)

• 178 posts
    January 8, 2015 10:23 AM CET

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to hear that the recent update solved some of the most problematic bugs. We continue to work on the app. We're going to clear a few more bugs, mainly crashes and profile annoyances, and then we're going to clean up the UI. The way you have to "save" the profiles, and explicitely tap on the "edit" icon is, well, somehat suboptimal.

• 8 posts
    January 8, 2015 2:06 AM CET

Android
    - Samsung TabPro 10.1 (SM-T525) A; Android 4.4.2, 4.4.4, 16GB, 3G; 0.26; David M.; 08/Jan/2015)

Regards,

David

• 10 posts
    January 8, 2015 1:16 AM CET

I'm very glad to report that the update to v0.25 of the Android app has resolved the connection issue on my Samsung Galaxy S3. It now connects properly and I can assign and configure profiles to it. 

There do seem to be some issues with the profiles though, and I found the use of profiles is not really intuitive: I tried assigning several profiles to a MOC (Android app does not seem to allow sets right now), but the assignment of ports to profile controls is done on the brick, not on the profile. This makes it hard to switch between profiles.
    Also, when I use sliders from the test I and II profiles, it seems as if moving the slider is sending out too many commands causing it to buffer the commands. If I move the liser up and down in a period of about 1 second, the connected motor takes a couple of seconds to first spin up to max speed and then decrease speed back to 0 again. I guess some tweaking on sensitivity is required.

Anyway, that's all not related to this topic, main thing is that the app correctly connects to the sbrick! Hurray!

So the status for Samsung Galaxy S3 can be raised from D to A for the 0.25 version of the app.

• 34 posts
    January 6, 2015 1:07 AM CET

Jeroen, I do not have any iOS, but I see on appstore webpage this data:

• Updated: Nov 06, 2014
    • Version: 3.0

And thanks.

[blockquote]Tamás Fábián said:

Thank you all for the information, I took a note of these. I'm going to a meeting with the dev. team tomorrow, we'll discuss and schedule the bugs to fix. The most important is the discovery issue, and I do see a hope for that, since my application I've written to test the bricks finds and connects just fine.

[/blockquote]

Hi Tamás,

might I suggest to add to the apps some menu option that would send some dump/trace of system setup even if there is no crash ?

Also with a field for the user to add personal observation and email, for feedback ?

• 10 posts
    January 5, 2015 10:30 PM CET

I'll add my personal findings to this list as well:

Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300), Samsung stock Android 4.3, app version 0.21
    Same result as others: cannot connect with Sbrick app, but can connect with nRF Master Control Panel, so category D

Apple iPad Air 2 (MH182HC/A), iOS 8.1.2, version numer??? (where the # can I check that in iOS, the app has no general settings control showing the version nr? afaik latest version as available on 5 January 2015.)
    App connects to the Sbrick, and can use the port tester to activate the 4 ports. "Identify led"  does not seem to work though, and have difficulties trying to control the ports with the profiles. But connecting was never an issue, so I guess this counts as category A?

This post was edited by Jeroen Stap at January 5, 2015 10:37 PM CET
    • 25 posts
    January 5, 2015 6:48 PM CET

Thank you Tamàs (sorry, I don't know how to do the correct accent on your name with my keyboard).

Some suggestions on the android app support forum are interresting. Maybe you could have a look and share with developpers :-)

(I particularely like the idea of spliting the screen into small units where user could place controls like sliders, buttons, joysticks or else, instead of trying to develop so many profiles with every combination of controls - that would solve also a problem with screen resolutions which are never the same, and help on tablets)

• 178 posts
    January 5, 2015 5:32 PM CET

Thank you all for the information, I took a note of these. I'm going to a meeting with the dev. team tomorrow, we'll discuss and schedule the bugs to fix. The most important is the discovery issue, and I do see a hope for that, since my application I've written to test the bricks finds and connects just fine.

• 1 posts
    January 4, 2015 8:40 PM CET

I'm using my Sbrick with the Android Sbrick app (Motorola Razr MAXX HD).  I cannot connect to the Sbrick using the app, but I can see the device on my phone's Bluetooth menu, as well as nRF Master Control Panel (though nRF's interface is a bit daunting for me).  No action from the LED, either steady or flash upon powerup.

I'm encouraged seeing videos of the Sbrick in action, so I'll keep looking through the forum for tips.

• 2 posts
    January 3, 2015 11:22 AM CET

I have two S bricks.

Samsung Galaxy S3 - GT-19300 - Android 4.3 - 0.21

Cannot see or connect to either Sbrick from the app. Can connect to both Sbricks via nRF Master Control Panel and then actually control the Sbricks. Not ideal but a start.

Sony Xperia Z2 - D6503 - Android 4.4.2

Sbrick 1: Only visible by app one in 10 times. Need to wipe the SBrick app from device and/or remove BT devices from the system; connection drops that need the same action to be solved.

Sbrick 2: Cannot see or connect to Sbrick from the app.

Both Sbricks: Can connect to both Sbricks via nRF Master Control Panel and then actually control the Sbricks. Not ideal but a start.

In time, hopefully the android app becomes more stable or there is enough info to produce 3rd party apps easily.

• 21 posts
    January 2, 2015 9:01 PM CET

[blockquote]Norman Chalcraft said:

Cannot add a set to the App only a MoC.  Cannot see or connect to Sbrick from the app.  Can connect to Sbrick via nRF Master Control Panel and then actually control the Sbrick.

Hope this helps![/blockquote]

+1
    Exactly the same problem (Samsung Galaxy S3 - GT-I9300 - Android 4.3 - 0.21)

This post was edited by Maxim Baybakov at January 2, 2015 9:01 PM CET
    • 34 posts
    January 2, 2015 8:02 PM CET

Thanks guys.

[blockquote]Toku Betsu said:

iPhone 4S = no connection at all, via phone or app.

Galaxy S4 = connected fine via phone. Connecting via app is a bit hit and miss.

[/blockquote]

Could you please add the version of iOS on your iPhone ?

And the same for Android on Samsung S4 ? Also which version of the app ?

• 25 posts
    January 2, 2015 7:42 PM CET

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7100) - A(4.4.2 Fr 16Gb no4G rooted; 0.0.21; S. CACHEUX; 02/Jan/2015)

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - GT-N7100 - Android 4.4.2 rooted - 0.0.21 - A. Not tested long time with a real model (neither long distance), just connecting 2 motors / PF lights to the Sbrick to test. Sum up: cannot switch off the lights, gyro not working (or very weirdly like all/nothing), some profiles not working (like joystick/gamepad)

Copy of what I wrote before, just to be a little bit more precise:

The market is ok, I managed to download all profiles.

With the Sbrick manage bricks, I find a sbrick, the identify led works (I noticed that last time I tested, the 2 first on/off, it did not worked, then the 3rd time it worked), the port tester works with all ports, and the OTA (???) indicates that the function will be available soon.

When I select the home page in the menu, it just displays a welcome message. When taping on it, it displays a kind of controler (joystick, black screen with white border, ...) but nothing happens on Sbrick.

When I select "my set", I tap the "+" and create a new profile via the "add new moc button (no possibility to add an existing lego model). This adds a profile. When taping on it, I can rename it, then change its image (very long). I can also find my sbrick (discover is a bit long). Then I tap on the Sbrick to set the ports, which works. I tap "save your set!" button and ... it crashes. Impossible to save. If I tap on the profile before, it opens the profile screen (with buttons, sliders, etc.) but it warns me that "couldn't discover all bricks!" with cancel and retry button. Retry redisplays the same message, and cancel let me on the profile, which is obviously not working.

I tried to change the port on my Sbrick, but same error, the app is crashing, returning to my phone screen when saving my set. I manage to change the profile, and go into the sbrick ports, but always crashing when saving.

Edit: I uninstalled the app, reinstalled, redownload the market, recreate a new moc profile, and this time it worked! I do not know what changed, I guess the cache has been reset.

Further tests: Test1 profile is ok, but button does not switch off the lights (light turns on, but when switching off the button, displays shows it off, but light are still on). Interresting point is that it's possible to have all range of lighting with a slider, not just on/off !!! That opens possibilities! Note: sometimes, when releasing the slider, it comes to center, but the motor is still working.

One useful thing would be to have a reminder on the profile's displays with which slider is "slider 1", which is "slider 2", etc. (idem with buttons). That would help a little bit (even maybe add to which port it's linked!). as there is more and more profiles, it's becoming a little bit hard to remember which one have sliders, or steering whell, or light switches. So it would be very nice that, when selecting the profile, we could have a little image of the controlers, just to quickly see which profile it is really in terms of controlers. And as previously asked, inverters for each port would be very nice to have.

Profiles which uses gyro are not really working well with my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2). Impossible to get them work correctly (zero or full speed, direction not taken in account, etc.).

Joystick or gamepad 1 (display pb - the joystick stick does not appears) not working either. Gamepad 2 also have pb, impossible to get it work, and displays seems to be corrupted/distorded.

Interresting point: when having a pb with a profile, go to market, delete profile, then redownload it and it works better! (does not work with joystick or gamepad 1 for me - sometimes app crashes when deleting the profile in the set edition).

• 28 posts
    January 2, 2015 7:29 PM CET

iPhone 6, latest iOS.  Connection fine, haven't had a drop or single problem in 2 days.  Haven't tested long distance yet.

• 17 posts
    January 2, 2015 6:55 PM CET

iPhone 4 = no connection at all, via phone or app.

Galaxy S4 = connected fine via phone. Connecting via app is a bit hit and miss.

S4 is 4.4.2 and App is 0.0.21

Apple is v6? I think that is the last version you can install on 4. It won't do os7.

App wise for Apple, no clue, whatever the latest app version is. Doesn't really matter though, since the phone itself can't pair with the brick. (I am guessing you can pair with Nordic App)

This post was edited by Toku Betsu at January 3, 2015 6:15 PM CET
    • 24 posts
    January 2, 2015 5:34 PM CET

Cannot add a set to the App only a MoC.  Cannot see or connect to Sbrick from the app.  Can connect to Sbrick via nRF Master Control Panel and then actually control the Sbrick.

Hope this helps!

This post was edited by Norman Chalcraft at January 2, 2015 5:38 PM CET
    • 34 posts
    January 2, 2015 4:10 PM CET

- Google Nexus 7 (2013/2nd gen) - A(4.4.4 US 32GB no3G; 0.21; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    This is my primary 'play' Android device, after setting the Sbrick up on 0.20 I could connect almost anytime. At most the profile recognizes the brick after jumping out/in or going to port tester and back. Once recognized the connection stays. Longterm tens of tests over multiple sessions since 24th Dec with 0.20 and 0.21

- HTC ONE (M7/1st gen) - A(4.4.3 T-Mobile; 0.21; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    This is my phone and after finding out that the sensitivity is better than Nexus 7 I use it whenever battery is not a matter. Seems to reconnect almost everytime on 1st attempt. One hour session without connection drop. Longterm tens of tests over multiple sessions since 24th Dec with 0.20 and 0.21

- Motorola Moto G 1st gen - A(4.4.4; 0.21; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    GF's ex phone, connects even with broken screen :D Around 5 tests over 2 sessions with power off.

- Motorola Moto G 2nd gen - A(4.4.4; 0.21; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    Current GF's phone, had some problems setting the connection and almost falling to group D, the SBrick app discovered the brick after nRF session and now keeps it even after restart.  Again around 5 tests over 2 restarts.

• 34 posts
    January 2, 2015 4:01 PM CET

There is now a wiki set up by the SBrick team, please update that one first/too

[blockquote]Lénárd Pásztor said: 

We created a wiki page for the device compatibility. Please help to improve it!

We also have a page for device that SBrick can drive here

Thank you!

[/blockquote]

I'd like to propose collecting the connection and compatibility statistics for the different devices to see if there is some correlation to different devices, OS versions, customizations, etc.

Please note that :
    - as we know the SW is still in early phases, this should rely to the basic function of connection creation and stability over time.
    - please be factual, saying just "it's a piece of ...lemon" without providing data won't help anybody
    - try use the following format or provide enough data for it, I'll try to edit the first post with this data
    grade(OS version incl. possible mods/roots; SBrick app; SW version; name; date)
    - not trying to hijack the main app threads this one should be only for collecting statistics

S - everything is awesome level - can connect anytime, anywhere, never drops,...
    A - generally usable level - can connect most of the time on first try in SBrick apps, needs at most quitting the app (incl closing it) or jump in and out of profiles to detect the brick (without editing then), connection does not drop while running
    B - minor nuisance = solved inside the app- for the connection to be recognized you need to add/remove/edit profiles or rediscover SBricks inside the app; or connection drops while playing but can be re-established inside the app
    C - major nuisance = solved outside the app - to get the connection you need to wipe the SBrick app from device and/or remove BT devices from the system; connection drops that need the same action to be solved
    D - no connection in SBrick app but 3rd party OK - the SBrick app cannot find/connect to device or won't hold connection, but 3rd party app like nRF Control panel on Android can and while the commands from those work (promise of bright future :) )
    E - not stable anywhere - SBrick cannot be controlled from SBrick apps or 3rd party apps, either quickly dropping connection or not being discovered while paired
    F - the SBrick is not even recognized by system as BT device or cannot be paired :( - please state if the SBrick HW works with other device and is not completely dead

Android

- Asus Memo Pad 7 ME572C - 1xA - A (Android 4.4.2, 16GB, Wifi; 0.26; Philo; 13/Jan/2015)
    - Google Nexus 7 (2013/2nd gen) - 1x A - A(4.4.4 US 32GB no3G; 0.25; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    - HTC ONE (M7/1st gen) - 1x A - A(4.4.3 T-Mobile; 0.22; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    - Motorola Moto G 1st gen - 1x A - A(4.4.4; 0.21; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    - Motorola Moto G 2nd gen - 1x A - A(4.4.4; 0.21; Matej P.; 02/Jan/2015)
    Motorola Razr MAXX HD - 1x D - D(?; 0.21; Jesse M; 04/Jan/2015)
    - Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7100) - 1x A - A(4.4.2 Fr 16Gb no4G rooted; 0.0.21; S. CACHEUX; 02/Jan/2015)
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-19300) - 1x A 3x D (possibly fixed in .25+) - A(4.3; 0.25; Jeroen Stap; 08/Jan/2015); D(4.3; 0.21; Norman Chalcraft; 02/Jan/2015), D(4.3; 0.21; Maxim Baybakov; 02/Jan/2015), D(4.3; 0.21; Tim G; 03/Jan/2015); 
    - Samsung Galaxy S4 - 1x B - B (4.?; 0.2?; Toku Betsu; 02/Jan/2015)5)
    Samsung TabPro 10.1 (SM-T525) -  1xA  -  A(4.4.2/4.4.4 16GB 3G; 0.26; David M.; 08/Jan/2015)
    Sony Xperia Z2 (D6503) - 1x D - C/D (4.4.2; 0.21; Tim G; 03/Jan/2015)

iOS
    - iPad Air 2 (MH182HC/A)
     - 1x A - A (iOS 8.1.2; 3.0; Jeroen Stap; 05/Jan/2015)
    - iPhone 4S
    - 1x F - F (?; 3.0?; Toku Betsu; 02/Jan/2015)
    - iPhone 5S - 1x E - E (iOS 8.1.2; 3.0?; Taka; 08/Jan/2015)
    - iPhone 6 - 1x A - A (iOS 8.1.2; 3.0; Tull Clancey; 02/Jan/2015)

This post was edited by Matej Papluh at January 17, 2015 12:33 AM CET