Forums » Support

Back To Topics

SBrick Android App

• 1 posts
    February 1, 2015 8:00 PM CET
    I have a Samsung galaxy s4(GT-I 9595) running android 4.4.2. I have installed the sbrick app. Not really working. It will discover the brick and testing the ports work ok, however none of the templates control the sbrick. I have watched the YouTube video of the setup and it looks like you should be able to assign with port of the sbrick is controlled with which control on the template/profile. This does not seem to be the case and I have found myself with a potentially awesome bit of kit which I am unable to control/use. I hope this can be looked into.
    • 1 posts
    February 1, 2015 2:14 PM CET

Have just got my first SBRICK to do something.  Its kind of lame so far unfortunately.  Both with my Samsung Note 2 and with my Samsung Galaxy Tab S I can get an initial connection to the brick but after a while it pulls up an alert to say "Couldn't discover all bricks!" and I have to reset the phone or tablet before I can get it back.  I tried disabling Bluetooth and re-enabling it but that did not work.

So its basically unusable at the moment.

I will hang fire for a little while to rate it on the Android site as its clearly in Beta at the moment but I hope its going to improve pretty fast!

• 24 posts
    January 31, 2015 7:03 PM CET

[blockquote]Matej Papluh said:

Having option to edit profiles in-app would be nice, but I disagree for it being easier to develop:

- having a PC (and easily MAC/Linux if using portable language) to generate profiles that can be loaded by app is faster. And if done in HTML5 for example its possible that one would be able to use even mobile browser. 

- this would also eliminate the need to create the editing engine for each platform - as you can see, we (as android users) still don't have the functionality that iOS guys have even after 3-4 months. I do not want to way to Xmass  2015 to be able to customize profiles while iOS guys will be happy to do so half a year before us (I understand Apple-first approach when the app generates money, but as part of HW product that I paid for, I really, really hate it) 

[/blockquote]

Totally agree!!

• 34 posts
    January 31, 2015 4:02 PM CET

Having option to edit profiles in-app would be nice, but I disagree for it being easier to develop:

- having a PC (and easily MAC/Linux if using portable language) to generate profiles that can be loaded by app is faster. And if done in HTML5 for example its possible that one would be able to use even mobile browser. 

- this would also eliminate the need to create the editing engine for each platform - as you can see, we (as android users) still don't have the functionality that iOS guys have, even after 3-4 months. I do not want to wait to Xmas 2015 to be able to customize profiles while iOS guys will be happy to do so half a year before us (I understand Apple-first approach when the app generates money, but as part of HW product that I paid for, I really, really hate it) 

This post was edited by Matej Papluh at February 1, 2015 2:22 PM CET
    • 25 posts
    January 31, 2015 3:12 PM CET

[blockquote]Jurgen Krooshoop said:

IMO, it would be better to get every current function working correctly first, instead of adding new functions.

[/blockquote]

++

And IMO (and as already said before), it would be better to give user controls like sliders, buttons, joystick, etc (+ editable labels) and let him place them anywhere on his screen, instead of giving him as-is profiles that he cannot modify. Things would certainly be easier to develop (just doing functions like slider operationnals one by one (control by control) instead of having to develop a whole complex profile).

This would easily allow multi-Sbrick support (making train users very happy) and would solve problems like screen size (people with tablets would have more space to put controls than people with smartphones, instead of giving tablet users the same interface just oversized (getting it probably ugly)).

Sly

This post was edited by Sylvain CACHEUX at January 31, 2015 3:14 PM CET
    • 340 posts
    January 30, 2015 2:37 PM CET

Yes, the feature I miss the most is being able to use multi-SBrick profiles, like the profile for my Excavators.

And the Android-app is starting to give the "Couldn't discover all bricks"-messages as well, just like my iPod has been doing for some time now, ever since I updated the SBricks-firmware.

Which means I currently cannot controll any SBrick-Excavator, nor the U 8043 S, nor the Link Belt, rendering the SBricks useless 8-(

[/blockquote] 

If you are upgrade an SBrick you need to disable and reenable the Bluetooth on iOS because it caches the old BT data.

IMO, it would be better to get every current function working correctly first, instead of adding new functions.

[/blockquote]

Absolutely agree with you, we are working on it..

• 5 posts
    January 30, 2015 11:04 AM CET

It would be nice to make the android app an open source project, so that some of use can help fixing bugs.

This post was edited by Stefan Sauer at January 30, 2015 3:23 PM CET
    • 23 posts
    January 29, 2015 10:41 PM CET

Yes, the feature I miss the most is being able to use multi-SBrick profiles, like the profile for my Excavators.

And the Android-app is starting to give the "Couldn't discover all bricks"-messages as well, just like my iPod has been doing for some time now, ever since I updated the SBricks-firmware.

Which means I currently cannot controll any SBrick-Excavator, nor the U 8043 S, nor the Link Belt, rendering the SBricks useless 8-(

• 24 posts
    January 29, 2015 7:13 PM CET

It's good to see a defined development path for the Android software as in.....

Android

2015-01-23

• Provide connection indication
    • Support for the profile designer

2015-01-30

• Password protection for the SBrick
    • Notifications
    • Show voltage, temperature, firmware version

2015-02-04

• Social functions

2015-02-06

• Share brick with friends (shared secondary password)

2015-02-10

• Improve control latency and bandwidth usage

Unscheduled

• Gather & save data about brick usage & voltage / temp informations
    • About screen
    • First steps screen
    • Brick list improvements
    • Social feed
    • Social messages
    • Social events
    • Help screen
    • Synchronize user's sets

Shame that it doesn't include anything about being able to control a Sbrick.

• January 28, 2015 12:45 PM CET

[blockquote]Maxim Baybakov said:

Samsung S3 9300

"discovering sbrick..." for 3-5 sec and the label "discovering sbrick..." disappears, no one sbrick is found.

When I choose any profile in moc for test, the app freezes for several sec and closes.

[/blockquote]

same for me with lg-v700

• 3 posts
    January 28, 2015 11:36 AM CET

Hi Nikolaus

e-mail: damjansz@mailbox.hu

if you have any ideas...

cheers

dsz

[blockquote]Nikolaus Berger said:

Hello d sz, give me email, I try to help you with your problem

nikolausp55@web.de

best regards

Nikolaus

[/blockquote]

• 4 posts
    January 28, 2015 10:59 AM CET

Hello d sz, give me email, I try to help you with your problem

nikolausp55@web.de

best regards

Nikolaus

• January 28, 2015 1:13 AM CET

i have an

LG-v700

android4.4.2

it seems that it does not recognize the sbrick,forget,the set,crash for market tools

see u

• 4 posts
    January 27, 2015 8:00 PM CET

Hi!
    I'm still unable to detect my Sbrick with my Op3n Dott Tablet, with Sbrick App. I have problems with Nrf Master Control Panel too. The log says 0x81: GATT INTERNAL ERROR and 0x85: GATT ERROR.
    Does this have any meaning to somebody?

• 34 posts
    January 27, 2015 3:27 PM CET

I have just updated Nexus 7 to 5.0.2 and used that to load up the 0.41 app. Seems that first time detection is better than .35, but I'll need to test it more.

Also the SBrick refuses to be paired in BT screen, something that was not there before.

Apps still crashes from time to time, last time on profile exit.

The lag is still there.

• 19 posts
    January 27, 2015 11:08 AM CET

v0.41: same here on nexus 5 & 9, no sbricks can be discovered with new version. no matter what i do, restart, new moc, reinstall app whatever. simply cannot use my sbricks on android :(

• 3 posts
    January 26, 2015 9:54 PM CET

Hi 

I have recently installed the android app, and I'm really disappointed because of the following problems:

• only the gamepad 2 and the test profiles seem to work (more or less)
    • How to invert the steering direction????? 
    • there is much more control latency than using the original IR remote
    • the app crashes randomly
    • after some (internal?) problems, the sbrick is not connectable anymore. the android app should be restarted to be able to connect again

Any recommendation, solution?

I'm using a motorola moto G - stock android 4.4.4.

cheers

dsz

• 7 posts
    January 25, 2015 12:26 PM CET
    Atm it is not possible to discover SBrick, also if I use created sets....
    • 95 posts
    January 24, 2015 11:08 PM CET

I am able to discover the SBrick when creating a new set, sometime I can play with the linked profile and then connection is lost.

I need to leave the app disconnect bluetooth to get the connexion again just for a few time

I will go back to v26

• 21 posts
    January 24, 2015 9:46 PM CET

Samsung S3 9300

"discovering sbrick..." for 3-5 sec and the label "discovering sbrick..." disappears, no one sbrick is found.

When I choose any profile in moc for test, the app freezes for several sec and closes.

• 7 posts
    January 24, 2015 3:39 PM CET

Forgot to mention that 100% issue is fixed......

• 7 posts
    January 24, 2015 3:19 PM CET

The updated app version is much better.....still some issues, but I can do the following now :

- discover SBrick

- connect to SBrick

- Upload MOC picure

- download profiles (no 42030 profile unfotunately)

- Test ports, but some do not react

- Assing task for ports, but some are blank and sometimes show text like accelerationand steering. And seems like there is no lift or tilt options.

- Save my set

- View tutorial

The app still crashes randomly. And it is slow at some tasks, but seem to me to be very close to work. Thanks, hope you can use this feedback....

• 87 posts
    January 24, 2015 2:06 PM CET

It works with my Sony Xperia Z1 4.4.4 but I cannot say if it is better at discovering or not:

First SBrick found it fine, worked ok. The I powered up a second SBrick and it also found it (secondary issue: I had "Identify Led On on first one, Identifiy Led on the second one answered "off"... is it a toogle value not aware of multiple SBricks?). Next time I discovered SBricks it found none. Then just one. Then both. Then none Then both.

With 0.35 I had a nasty problem (once) when changing froone SBrick to another: it discovered but never could use it, no matter what I do... had to uninstall and reinstall.It seems better now (but I'm mostly using my PC and my Mindstorms EV3).

• 340 posts
    January 24, 2015 1:35 PM CET

[blockquote]Philippe Hurbain said:

Not so good unfortunately :(

On my Asus Memopad 7, the Manage bricks screen remains empty after displaying "discovering Sbricks..." for some time. Fortunately my existing set still works, it connects fine to the brick. In edit mode I can access the test screen that does work fine too.

[/blockquote]

Thanks for the quick report, I forwarded it to the dev team.

• 16 posts
    January 24, 2015 1:26 PM CET

Not so good unfortunately :(

On my Asus Memopad 7, the Manage bricks screen remains empty after displaying "discovering Sbricks..." for some time. Fortunately my existing set still works, it connects fine to the brick. In edit mode I can access the test screen that does work fine too.