Forums » Support

Back To Topics

SBrick Android App

• 168 posts
    January 26, 2016 12:05 PM CET

Hello everyone,

thank you all for the reports.

We're working on the issues and improvements, and going to release a new version this week.

We're going to buy a couple of new devices for testing including many of the problematic ones to be able to hunt those bugs down.

Thank you for your attention :)

• 99 posts
    January 25, 2016 11:29 PM CET

[blockquote]Christoph Pfenninger said:

I this state I can't use my sbricks anymore

[/blockquote]

That's the situation I was in with the previous 1.9. Here's how I got everything back:

- Clear your phone from everything related to the SBrick: apps, data, cache, etc...

- Stop the app called "Bluetooth sharing" or whatever it is called, clear the related data too

- Stop/Restart the Bluetooth on the phone. You can look if it detects the Sbrick: if the Sbrick is visible, you should be able to pair it as any other Bluetooth device.

- Reinstall the old v1.6.1 and re-configure the SBrick as before.

I'm lucky, cause v2.0 works fine for me, but there are still devices that do not accept it...

• January 25, 2016 9:02 PM CET

I don't think Update is an improvement with app 2.0. As I worte on January 10th I has the same Problems. With the sbrick app as well with simple controll. I reinstalled both apps but nothing helps. The update process stopps either with 6400 bytes or by 5%. The Harware Version of the sbricks shows 4.0.

By the way, no Motors are connected to the bricks and i have restartet it every time.

I have a Sony Z1 with Android 5.1.1. My 2 sBricks Showing Firmware 4.3 and Hardware 4.0.

Are there any Ideas where the problem is?
    I this statei can't use my sbricks anymore

• 16 posts
    January 25, 2016 9:22 AM CET

[blockquote]Marc Jaouen said:

[blockquote]Adrian Wigg said:

I have setup this train to be stopped by pressing the button at the bottom. The button is linked to the same channel as the train speed slider and the output of the button is set at '0'. The train does not stop but go at 100% speed(1) and on release the train does stop. This is a problem for me even though I have sey the speed to '0'. It worked fine in the old app.

[/blockquote]

I never managed to assign a value to a button: it's always 1 when pressed and 0 when released. That's the behavior of your button.

I agree with you anyway, one should be able to assign -1, for example, this is necessary for people who want a steering control based on to buttons (left and right).

[/blockquote]

I encountered this issue too, but placed it into profile designer support topic. IMO it is an integration issue. Profile designer allow to set value on a button, so it is at least designed to output something else than 1 to port. But in designer->app->sbrick->port chain ButtonPress turns from "value" to "true".

For now as a workaround I try "sequence" control, with repeat set to yes. Bonus - option for "set" and "transition".

[blockquote]Peer Kreuger said:

Update is an improvement, though reliability is still an issue. Still working on detailed reports on those. 

Another bug that's slightly easier to describe; sliders that have "auto reset" turned off behave strangely. To illustrate, I've made a video. The left slider has "auto reset" turned on and works great, but the right slider (with auto reset turned off) seems to have trouble following where I point.

https://youtu.be/8DhmZbPaiBU

This was on a Sony Xperia Z1 compact.
    (The effects are most obvious at the end of the video)

[/blockquote]

Encountered same issue on Note 3 with Android 4.4.2. Really undersired, as it drives output port harshly to value usially opposed to wanted.

• 3 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:58 PM CET

Update is an improvement, though reliability is still an issue. Still working on detailed reports on those. 

Another bug that's slightly easier to describe; sliders that have "auto reset" turned off behave strangely. To illustrate, I've made a video. The left slider has "auto reset" turned on and works great, but the right slider (with auto reset turned off) seems to have trouble following where I point.

https://youtu.be/8DhmZbPaiBU

This was on a Sony Xperia Z1 compact.
    (The effects are most obvious at the end of the video)

• 41 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:03 PM CET

I have to agree that the LAG/DELAY is not that bad than the previous version, but is still there......today i play more time in an open place (to not crash the buggy) and the lag/delay don't happens always....sometimes works fine (with a very little lag like like you says).

The buggy have 2 L motors, so both of the motors are linked to the same function (acceleration) and one othe L motors is inverted.....also noticed that one of the motors have less lag/dealy (stop first), so maybe is also related to inverse/no inverse and 2 motors linked to the same function......i don't know.

Also the app have a bug.....when you select My profiles the first time is ok (fresh install), but if you update your profile in the profile designer and want to update in the phone....the load icons in the Market stay forever. You have to clear cache and info of the app and start all over again.

• 99 posts
    January 24, 2016 6:07 PM CET

I has also noticed a slight lag, but not as important. While the previous release had a real delay (when the app worked!) immediately perceptible, I had to test several times to be sure there was a lag. Probably in the range of 0,1s in my case, something you can live with. No lag at all with v1.6.1 anyway.

I keep the old 1.6.1 on my tablet, 1) because v2.0 doesn't work on it 2) because the range is almost double with the tablet than with the phone (from 15m to 25m).

• 41 posts
    January 24, 2016 5:29 PM CET

Now the app works with the old and new profiles from the profile designer. I can view, load and use the profiles in the app. (tested in a samsung S3, android 4.3 and samsung galaxy tab4 android 5.0.2). I have to uninstall the app, restart the phone/tablet and install the app again.....strange, but now works. I prevously update the firmware to 4.8 version.

@Tamas

If dev team can fix the LAG/DELAY in controls, the app will be (imo) perfect for play. The 1.6.1 and 1.7 version of the app don't have that lag/delay.

Right now with that 1 second delay is impossible to play with my buggy (2 L motors and lightweight, is a fast buggy), MOC supercar (2XL motors, also fast), and the 9398 modded crawler (also fast).

The lag/delay is present when you press the slider and when you release the slider (i don't test others resources, like joystick, buttons, etc). You press the slider and you have 1 sec until engine start to move, and then you release....there is 1 sec until the engine stop moving.

• 99 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:58 AM CET

[blockquote]Adrian Wigg said:

I have setup this train to be stopped by pressing the button at the bottom. The button is linked to the same channel as the train speed slider and the output of the button is set at '0'. The train does not stop but go at 100% speed(1) and on release the train does stop. This is a problem for me even though I have sey the speed to '0'. It worked fine in the old app.

[/blockquote]

I never managed to assign a value to a button: it's always 1 when pressed and 0 when released. That's the behavior of your button.

I agree with you anyway, one should be able to assign -1, for example, this is necessary for people who want a steering control based on to buttons (left and right).

• 10 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:07 AM CET

This post was edited by Adrian Wigg at January 24, 2016 11:08 AM CET
    • 32 posts
    January 24, 2016 9:30 AM CET

• 12 posts
    January 24, 2016 9:25 AM CET

Please, make "Pairing" (some pictogram) and "Exit" (х cross) hotbuttons in app!

• 32 posts
    January 24, 2016 9:24 AM CET

[blockquote]Makar V said:

SO FAR WORKING!!!!!!!!

[/blockquote]

SO HAPPY!

[/blockquote]

I have come to the conclusion.

It WORKS!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

• 32 posts
    January 24, 2016 8:42 AM CET

SO FAR WORKING!!!!!!!!

[/blockquote]

SO HAPPY!

• 32 posts
    January 24, 2016 8:40 AM CET

SO FAR WORKING!!!!!!!!

• 3 posts
    January 24, 2016 3:22 AM CET

I solved my problem of non working Sbrick after OTA Update
    I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android 5.0

After i did a OTA Update from 4.0 to 4.3 with the 1.6.1 Android App, my Sbrick did not work. The connection to it worked, but it was impossible to control the Motors and the LED on the Sbrick was always on.
    I tried to restart BT, i stopped BT and delete all Data and Cache from BT, i reinstalled the Sbrick app, i updated the Firmware a several times, i restarted my phone, i shut it down and removed the Battery for 2 Minutes, i wiped the Android Cache Partition but nothing.
    Simple Control allways crash when i tried it, and the OTA Update to 4.8 allways failed at 2%.
    Last Night i updated the Sbrick App to 2.0 but it was even worse. With 2.0 OTA Update fails now too.

Then, when i thought I had nothing left to loose i unpaired the Brick in the Android BT and voilà, everithing works fine. I had not even to do a restart. Update to 4.8 worked too, at first time. No crashes, no lag's. Everythin like it should be.

I once read here in the Forum that one should never unpair a paired Sbrick with Firmware less than 4.4 and it's true, after i unpaired the Sbrick it was not possible to pair it again. But in my case, it's not necessary. The Sbrick app recognized the Sbrick without pairing. After the Update to 4.8 now i can pair it again.

• 17 posts
    January 23, 2016 11:05 PM CET
    [blockquote]Anthony of Minas said:

@Tamas

Thank you for letting me know. It is good to know that the app does work perfectly on other devices.. Sad thing is I am not planning on changing my device.

I have unistalled and reinstalled. Something that I thought was a fluke but appears to not be: The instructions when you first launch the app, I cannot swipe through them with ease. I swipe right but its like the slides are on a timer and wont slide away before the timer elapses. Or as if the touch input is not getting registered correctly.

So after the reinstall, I can connect to SBrick sporadically, and also control it sporadically. I am on FF4.4 and I can't upgrade to 4.8 nor from the SBrick app nor from the Simple app. LED tester does not work. Please tell me if there is any more info you need me to provide.

[/blockquote] In the first time its go Also by me. Try to Do it like me. Put 4 motors on the sbrick. Go to MY SBRICKS. Then move the sliders left and right. And the click on Upgrade Firmware. Maybe you have succes
    • 1 posts
    January 23, 2016 9:26 PM CET

hi, i have just got an sbrick and have the app on my android tablet polaroid ND210 but it will not recognise the brick. i tried using the nRF master contol panel ap but this said my device was not comaptible with bluetooth smart....any ideas what i can do?

• 41 posts
    January 23, 2016 2:56 PM CET

Update:

I have to use my Tablet Samsung Galaxy TAb4 10", android 5.0.2 to finally update the firmware to 4.8 version (last one) with the simple control.

**Test Tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10", android 5.0.2, firmware 4.8 (last one):

- The LAG is still present....impossible to play!!! FIX THE LAG/DELAY, in the 1.6.1 and 1.7 there is NO LAG.

- My Profiles are no showed in the app. I create a new profile (test) in the new profile designer....still don't show.

**Test Samsung Galaxy S3, android 4.3, firmware 4.8 (ast one):

- Same results!!! FIX THE LAG/DELAY and the Profiles!!!

Not for been a beatifull app, will be OK......i prefer an UGLY and FAT app that ACTUALLY WORKS!!

I don't know why i botter to test this app....is useless

I suppose this will take another year to fix......

• 41 posts
    January 23, 2016 1:34 PM CET

@Tamas

Test the 2.0 version of the APP in my Samsung Galaxy S3, android 4.3:

(Uninstalla de old app, remove all, profiles, cache, etc)

1) Now works with android 4.3

2) I can't see my profiles in the app, created in the profile designer.

3) I can't enter in to the new version of the profile designer (web, using chrome), the loading icon stay forever (i wait 10 minutes)

4) FIX THE INPUT LAG OR DELAY!!!!! SAME PROBLEM WITH THE PREVIOUS VERSION....A LOT OF LAG, LAG, LAG and more LAG!!!! Impossible to play!!! i go will go back to 1.6.1 or 1.7 version of the app.

Now the question is, i can use the 1.6.1 or 1.7 version with my "old" profiles???? because this 2.0 app is still a NO GO!!

edit1: 

I check the Sbrick tab, and i have the Firmware and Hardware 4.2b2.......upgrading the firmware fails always at 12% (try 15 times).

I don't know if this is the firmware that suppose to work with the 2.0 app.

edit2:

Test the simple controls to update the firmware to 4.8 FAILS also at 12% (exact 14.000 bytes)....ALWAYS!!!!

Can you provide an APP to only update the firmware?? OR provide a list of android device that CAN do a perfect firmware update to ask some friends if anyone have that device.

This post was edited by Denis H at January 23, 2016 2:03 PM CET
    • 99 posts
    January 23, 2016 11:45 AM CET

[blockquote]Frederic Ayrault said:

It is also "difficult" to exit this app no quit option in the menu and/or the return key does not work. The only working way is to use the home key...[/blockquote]

Frédéric, you never close an Android app... All you can do is to conceil the app, but it's always running until you clear it from the running apps list. Even after doing this, a lot of apps still run as background tasks, you must clear the cache to get rif of them.

Android is not a "serious OS": it works, it's improving, but its first and only goal is to make people buy stuff from the Google Store. Gathering personal information is one of the ways they use to do it, that's why you cannot really control anything with a stock Android release. You may try an alternate release (Cryogen or whatever you will find), but at your own risks.

It's even worst with iOS: Apple has really a full access to whatever you do on your device, it's the basis of their business model. And Microsoft is now working in their path with Windows 10...

As for your other requests, you are right, but the first concern is to have an app that works!!!

Marc

• 95 posts
    January 23, 2016 10:35 AM CET

I have just installed the new version and created a new profile to test the auto reset and output values for buttons

and those fonctions are still not working. I am still waiting the "really cool features" promised

It is also "difficult" to exit this app no quit option in the menu and/or the return key does not work. The only working way is to use the home key...

X

• 99 posts
    January 23, 2016 10:19 AM CET

First test results with the Sony Xperia Aqua M4:

The first feeling is good.

- Same comments as for the Beta about the look&feel of the app: the design is excellent.

- Firmware update worked perfectly

- No problem to download a profile, setting up the controls was easy.

- First drive test in the living room is OK. Must wait until I can test the car in real condition, but a huge Formula 1 with 2 RC Motors needs a lot of free space and i don't live in a castle ;)

Unfortunatlely, the app still crashes on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with Android 4.4.2 (Rooted)...

This post was edited by Marc Jaouen at January 23, 2016 10:24 AM CET
    • 99 posts
    January 23, 2016 9:49 AM CET

[blockquote]Ed In't Veld said: On the wiki page I have see That sbricks worked well with the Sony xperia aqua m4. Is there any one That can say it is really true. I go to buy a New phone and its important for me That I can use it with the sbricks [/blockquote]

Ed, I have an Aqua M4 and I confirm it works fine, at least with one SBrick. The best app version with this phone is 1.6.1, I am currently upgrading to the new version to see how it works.

• January 23, 2016 9:45 AM CET
    Very excited to see the redesigned app and was hoping for good things, however I still get nothing.

I have deleted and re-installed the app. I have tried to update the sbrick firmware from 4.3 and at 2% every time it fails. I have followed the tutorials but the sbrick does respond.
    The sbrick panel also doesn't activate the sbrick.

Like other users I am not changing my device, therefore what information would you need to investigate my issues.

JJ